An application must be completed by the Calvin contact person and submitted to the dean for research and scholarship.The dean will review the submitted information and determine what further steps must be taken.
The online application DOES NOT allow you to save a partially completed or completed version of this form to your desktop so please gather the following information and review the Calvin contact person's responsibilities, before filling out the application:
Visiting Scholar personal information required
- Complete curriculum vitae. Be sure to include applicant's full name and title, complete mailing address, telephone #, email address, currently held position (graduate student, research associate, pastor, professor), field of specialization, educational degree, and most recent degree and from which institution.
- Letter of interest with a brief description of the work the applicant will pursue at Calvin.
- Letter of reference from someone in the applicant's field of study.
- Applicant’s nationality.
- If non-U.S. citizen, date of last visit to the U.S.
- Does the applicant have legal documents (current passport, Social Security number, visa, driver's license)?
- Will the applicant have personal income or other financial resources sufficient to cover all expected living expenses and travel?
- Does the applicant expect to be accompanied by family members during the visit?
- Health coverage is required. What kind of health insurance policy will cover the applicant (and family) during their visit?
- If non-U.S. applicant with school-aged children who will be attending local schools, has applicant checked with the schools to determine the school's student visa preferences?
Further information required regarding the proposed visit
- Name of the sponsoring Calvin department, center, or institute.
- Name and title of the Calvin contact (within the sponsoring department, center, or institute).
- Letter of support from the sponsoring department, center, or institute.
- Proposed time frame for the visit (start and end dates).
- If applicant is a non-US citizen, what visa arrangements are planned?
- Does the Calvin sponsor expect the applicant to be paid through Calvin College (wages, stipends, honoraria, or salary)? If paying a non-U.S. applicant, J-visa or visa waiver must be in place.
- Does the Calvin sponsor expect to reimburse the applicant for any expenses?
- Does the Calvin sponsor expect to provide the applicant with an office on campus?
- Does the Calvin contact expect to assist the applicant with finding housing, transportation, schoolsfor children, etc? (NOTE: school tuition credits are not available for non-employees.)
- What level of Calvin IT permissions will be requested for this visitor? (Review code descriptions)
- Has the Calvin contact previewed the entire visiting scholar process and agreed to these responsibilities?
Questions? Please contact the Office of the Dean for Research and Scholarship.