If your high school education took place in a home based learning environment, you're in the right place. Learn how to apply, make sure to check out the application deadlines, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
To apply to Calvin, please submit the following items:
- Calvin College Application OR The Common Application
- High school transcript - submitted by your guidance counselor (may also be requested via the Common Application). Your transcript must include a grade for each course, calculated GPA for each semester and a cumulative GPA. Please provide course descriptions for each course that include the type of curriculum taken and/or textbooks used.
- SAT or ACT scores - either from your official high school transcript or sent directly from the testing agency (SAT code 1095; ACT code 1968)
- Academic recommendation - submitted by a teacher you choose (may also be requested via the Common Application). Your recommendation must be completed by someone other than your parent/legal guardian. Alternately, you may provide a recommendation from an adult who has supervised you (e.g. pastor, youth leader, etc.).
- If you’ve done any college course work, please submit your transcript(s).
Completed applications are considered on a rolling basis until the deadlines below. For maximum scholarship consideration, be admitted by February 1.
|Type||Fall Semester||January Interim||Spring Semester|
|First-Year||Aug. 15||Dec. 10||Jan. 10|
|Transfer||Aug. 15||Dec. 10||Jan. 10|
|Canadian||Aug. 15||N/A||Jan. 10|
|International||April 1||N/A||Dec. 15*|
*We do not accept international applications mid-year unless you are an international student in the U.S. who is transferring to Calvin.
Minimum standards for admission
For first-year applicants
- 2.5 GPA (on 4.0 scale) or 65-73% in a Canadian grading system
- 20 ACT or 1020 SAT (510 Math and 510 Critical Reading)
- SAT/ACT waived for Canadian applicants with cumulative average marks of 75% or above.
- High school course requirements
For transfer applicants
- GPA of 2.0 if transferring from a 4-year institution; 2.5 if transferring from a 2-year institution
- ACT or SAT scores: see above
- 3 years of college prep math, beginning with Algebra 1
- High school diploma or equivalent degree (GED)
Applicants with lower grades or scores are encouraged to apply and may be admitted on condition if there is other evidence of academic promise.
Calvin College does not discriminate with regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender or disability in any of its educational programs or activities.