In order to be admitted as a dually-enrolled high school student at Calvin College, please complete the below items and have them sent to Calvin Admissions, either by email (email@example.com), fax (616-526-6777), or mail (3201 Burton St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546).
All material must be submitted before the first day of classes; incomplete applications will not be considered after classes have begun. Dually enrolled students must begin classes on the first day. See when classes begin by viewing Calvin's Academic Calendar.
- Non-Degree Seeking Application (You will indicate your preferred course here)
- Copy of your high school transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from your guidance counselor, signed by your guidance counselor and principal. A new letter of recommendation is required for each semester you are dually-enrolled at Calvin. Must include the following:
- Confirmation that the course for which you would like to register is not offered at your high school
- Confirmation that you are capable of success in a college-level course
- Permission for you to leave your high school campus to take a course on Calvin's campus
- Verification that your preferred course is accepted by the State dual-enrollment reimbursement program.
- If you are enrolled in a public school, your school must verify that they will pay Calvin College at an amount no less than the published state reimbursement amount.
- Your UIC (Unique Identification Code)
Sample text for guidance counselor letter of recommendation
Click to download a Microsoft Word version of this sample letter
This letter verifies that [high school] approves [grade]th grade student, [name], to dually enroll at Calvin College in a college class. [High school] verifies that [name] meets State requirements for reimbursementup to a published amount, as outlined in Public Act 160 of 1996 (The Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act). [Name] is eligible for dual enrollment because of the following reasons:
- [High school] does not offer an equivalent course
- [Name]'s test scores and previous course grades demonstrate a history of academic success
- The scheduled time for [course] does not interfere with [name]'s schedule.
- [Name] has permission to leave his/her high school campus to attend a course at Calvin College
Calvin College will not invoice the school or student any amount greater than the amount of the State's reimbursement for the first four dually-enrolled credits. Therefore, [high school] agrees to pay the amount of the State's reimbursement to Calvin College.
[Name]'s UIC is: xxxxxxxxx.
I, [Name]'s guidance counselor, confirm that all information is accurate.