The music program at Calvin offers the opportunity to take private music lessons to students of all majors.
Private lessons are offered for the following: organ, harp, piano, voice, trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, violin, viola, cello, string bass, guitar, harpsichord, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, and recorder.
Private Lesson Categories
There are two categories of private lessons offered to students.
- Non-Credit Private Lessons (MUSC 030 and 060) are intended for non-majors and students interested primarily in lessons as an enrichment opportunity. It is graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis and does not require studio class participation, performances, or juries. MUSC 030 is for 12 30-minute lessons in a semester, and MUSC 060 is for 12 60-minute lessons a semester.
- Private Lessons for Credit (MUSC 260) is intended for music majors, music minors, and students interested in serious study and accountability with regard to skill improvement. It is a graded course that includes 12 60-minute lessons in the semester and requires participation in studio classes, joint student recital performances, and a final jury (performance exam).
Find Your Course Code
For composition, the course codes are MUSC 030-W: Composition (non-credit) and MUSC 240: Composition (for credit). For all other course codes, use the formula below:
= Your Course Code
At the beginning of each semester, all students taking private lessons should email their complete schedule (including classes, work, etc.) to their instructor. The assigned instructor will contact the student during the first ten days of the semester to schedule a lesson time. The student should contact the music office if the instructor has not made contact by the end of the first ten days.
Private lesson placement auditions are held for certain areas, usually voice and piano. These placement auditions are helpful in determining teacher assignment and private lesson level. The auditions are held during the first week of the semester and should be scheduled with the supervisor of the area directly (see Instructors tab above).
The following faculty members are supervisors over the different types of lessons:
- Dr. Tiffany Engle—winds, brass, and percussion instruments | email
- Dr. Forrest Wakeman—piano | email
- Dr. Timothy Steele—string instruments | email
- Dr. Pearl Shangkuan—voice | email
When students register for lessons, these names will be listed as the instructor of these lessons. However, under each of these supervisors, students may be assigned to one of the many part-time faculty instructors. Music majors, along with anyone enrolled in private music lessons at Calvin, must study with Calvin music faculty. A complete list of instructors is available on the Faculty & Staff page.
Private Lesson Fees
When you take a private lesson course, you are charged a private lesson fee, which is billed to your miscellaneous account. The following fees apply for private lessons in the above categories:
- MUSC 030: $360
- MUSC 060: $720
- MUSC 260: $900
The music program subsidizes lesson fees for certain categories of students. These include music majors and minors, as well as music scholarship winners whose scholarship requires them to take lessons. If you fall into one of these categories, you will be issued a reimbursement on your course fees during the first six weeks of the semester. The reimbursements are at the following rates:
- MUSC 030: $150 (Net cost = $210)
- MUSC 060: $300 (Net cost = $420)
- MUSC 260: $400 (Net cost = $500)
Refunds for dropped lessons
A full or partial refund of the private lesson fee for withdrawal from private lessons will be issued according to Calvin University’s reimbursement schedule:
- Calendar days 1-10: 100% refund
- Calendar days 11-24: 80% refund
- Calendar days 25-31: 60% refund
- Calendar days 32-38: 40% refund
- After 38 calendar days: 0% refund
Refunds are automatically calculated by the financial services office according to the date the Registrar receives a completed withdrawal form. The withdrawal form must be signed by the appropriate area supervisor faculty member and taken directly to the registrar’s office. (The music program staff do not process private lesson withdrawals.)
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.