Study at a higher level. At Calvin, you’ll think deeply, learn proactively, and jumpstart your college career.

Consider taking courses at Calvin University. We welcome high school juniors and seniors to experience for themselves what college-level courses at Calvin are like. Through our dual enrollment program, you'll get a head start on your college career.

Expand your knowledge and deepen your understanding.
Earn college credit and advance in your areas of interest.

Start early. Start with Calvin.
We hope to see you here!

Admission requirements

  • Must be a high school junior or senior
  • Must complete an application and submit all application materials to
    • All materials must be submitted one week before the first day of classes. Incomplete applications will not be considered after classes have begun.
  • Must maintain a C letter grade in dual-enrollment coursework

Further details

Required admissions materials
New dual-enrolled students

In order to be admitted as a dually enrolled high school student at Calvin, please complete the below items and have them sent to Calvin Admissions by email (, fax (616-526-6777), or mail (3201 Burton St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546):

  • Dual Enrollment Application (You will indicate your preferred course here.)
  • Copy of your high school transcript
  • Confirmation letter from your guidance counselor
    This must be signed by your guidance counselor and principal. A new confirmation letter is required for each semester you are dually enrolled at Calvin.

Since dually enrolled students may not start after classes begin, all dual enrollment application files must be complete at least one week before the first day of classes. Incomplete application files will not be considered after the deadline has passed. See when classes begin by viewing Calvin’s Academic Calendar.

Returning dual-enrolled students

Students who continue to enroll in dual-enrollment coursework without a break between semesters must complete the below:

  • Confirmation letter from your guidance counselor, signed by your guidance counselor and principal.
Acceptance and registration process

You will be:

  1. Notified by admissions of your acceptance in dual enrollment.
  2. Instructed to contact the registrar, identifying your dual-enrollment status.
  3. Advised in choosing classes and registering for your dual-enrollment course(s).
Best course availability

For early registration for fall or spring dual-enrollment courses, please submit your application materials one week prior to each semester for best course availability.

Admitted dual-enrollment students will contact the registrar (when directed by admissions) and receive advising as needed. Upper level courses (300 and above) would not be appropriate for most dual-enrollment students but may be allowed after consultation with the registrar.

High school juniors and seniors can apply for dual enrollment up to one week before the start of the semester.

Summer courses

High school students are welcome to dually enroll in Calvin’s summer courses! The application materials remain the same (see “Required Admissions Materials”), and you can find what summer courses are available by visiting our Summer Term page.

The summer course tuition rate for dually enrolled students is $413 per credit hour.

Students that register for dual-enrollment courses at Calvin may be eligible for four "no-cost" dual-enrollment credits during the Summer I session. The Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act states “If 50% of the university class/term falls within the local district’s regular academic year (calendar), pupils must be allowed to enroll and receive tuition/fee support.” So, if 50 percent of the Calvin course meets during your school district’s regularly scheduled school year, the first four credits will fall under the no-cost tuition.

Questions about tuition for dual-enrollment summer courses can be directed to Financial Services.

Capstone courses

Senior capstone courses, or any course labeled 395, are not open to dually enrolled students. Additionally, students may not enroll in a classroom section of a course if they are not able to register for a corresponding lab section (if required). Calvin University suggests that dual-enrollment applicants speak with the registrar or their prospective professor if they are unsure if they are capable of success in that course.

Honors courses

Calvin University allows students who have not been admitted into the Honors program (including dual-enrollment students) to register for honors-level courses with advice from a professor or registrar.


A transcript is sent directly to your high school once grades are posted. Students can print a personal copy or request an official transcript.

Tuition rates

Students not part of a school district

All students who are not part of a traditional school district (who do not have a UIC*) will be charged at the following rate:

  • $413/credit hour for the first 1–8 credits/semester
  • $1,286/credit hour for credits nine and above

Students dually enrolled in a fall- or spring-semester course

Calvin University will offer the first class (up to four credit hours) per semester for state of MI tuition reimbursement to dually enrolled high school students during the fall or spring semester. The high school in which the student is enrolled must verify that the preferred course is acceptable through the State of Michigan’s dual-enrollment reimbursement program.

Students enrolled in the summer term

All students who are taking online or on-campus courses for the summer are charged the discounted summer term rate.

*Each student enrolled in Michigan’s public or private schools is assigned a unique identification code (UIC) in the Michigan Student Data System (MSDS).

Billing process

Students dually enrolled in an online course

Michigan residents: You will receive an initial bill at the beginning of the semester. This bill does not reflect a reimbursement conribution from the State of Michigan, however, and does not represent your actual tuition charges. When the state contributes a pre-determined amount, you will receive a different tuition statement at a lesser amount.

Non-Michigan residents: You will receive a bill at the beginning of the semester that will include terms of payment.

Dually enrolled homeschooled students or students without a UIC*:

You will receive a bill at the beginning of the semester that will include terms of payment.

Students dually enrolled on campus during the fall or spring semester

If the preferred course meets the requirements under the State of Michigan’s dual-enrollment reimbursement program, you will not receive a bill. Students who enroll for over four credits or whose course does not meet State dual-enrollment requirements will be billed at the beginning of the semester at Calvin University’s published dual-enrollment rates (above).

If the student is enrolled at a public school, the school must verify that they will pay Calvin University at an amount no less than the published state reimbursement amount. Calvin University will bill the school that amount, which should be reimbursed by the State of Michigan via established budget reimbursement channels.

Students will be limited to four “no-cost” credit hours per semester.

*Each student enrolled in Michigan’s public or private schools is assigned a unique identification code (UIC) in the Michigan Student Data System (MSDS).

Tuition-free credits

If you are currently enrolled in a Michigan public or private high school and wish to come to Calvin’s campus to take a course during the fall or spring semester, you may be eligible for tuition-free credits. Be sure to check the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act to see if your course qualifies!

You must have a UIC* to qualify for tuition-free credits. Dual enrollment students must complete the course to receive the reimbursement. In the case of a withdrawal, the family will be responsible for costs associated with the course work taken.

*Each student enrolled in Michigan’s public or private schools is assigned a unique identification code (UIC) in the Michigan Student Data System (MSDS).


Katrina De Man

Katrina De Man

Admissions Counselor
Full profile

  •  (616) 526-8798
  • Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, New Mexico, dual-enrolled and home school students, Kent County public schools, Northern Michigan Christian, North Pointe Christian, Plymouth Christian, Tri-Unity Christian, Western Michigan Christian, West Michigan Lutheran, and Zion Christian Schools.
  • Admissions
  • SC 260G

Dually enrolled students are not eligible for academic, medical, or (Broene) counseling services from Calvin University. It is expected that students will avail themselves of any such needed services through their home high school.