New Student Orientation is the process of assisting first-year students in making the transition to the academic and cultural environment of Calvin University. Orientation assistants play an integral role in this process by assisting in the running of IMPACT and International Orientation, participating in all the orientation activities with the new students, and continuing to be supportive and positive role models throughout the school year.
- Who can apply?
Any Calvin student with the following characteristics may apply for the orientation assistant position:
- ONLY for International Orientation Assistants: Has citizenship outside the U.S. or Canada or is a U.S. or Canadian citizen that has had significant international experience
- Has interest in and commitment to helping new students make a smooth and successful adjustment to Calvin
- Shows a willingness to exercise gifts of creativity, hospitality, and service
- Possesses general understanding of Calvin's campus environment (current or previous experience in orientation, a student organization, student leadership, or campus office is highly desirable)
- Demonstrates confidence and maturity in interpersonal relationships
- Strives to manifest Christian commitment in thought, word, and deed
- Has a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Maintains full-time student status at Calvin and fulfills the university's eligibility requirements for participation in campus activities as reflected in the Student Handbook
- Specific responsibilities
Calvin's orientation programs for international students (International Orientation) and multicultural American students (IMPACT) occur right before Welcome Week (QUEST). International Orientation begins on Sunday, Aug. 21 through Thursday, Aug. 25. IMPACT Orientation begins on Tuesday, Aug. 23 through Thursday, Aug. 25. Then, Welcome Week (a fall component for all new students) occurs from Thursday, Aug. 25 through Sunday, Aug. 28. Orientation assistants will participate in all aspects of the Orientation program during the last week of August but are not involved with the Welcome Week program.
- Spring: Orientation assistants will attend a leadership training session in March and meet together weekly to prepare and pray for the incoming first-year students.
- Summer: Orientation assistants are NOT required to be in Grand Rapids for the summer but will receive regular email updates which may or may not include projects to be completed.
- Fall: International Orientation Assistants will be expected to convene for the training program that begins at 12 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 14, 2022. Housing will be available starting on Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022. IMPACT Orientation Assistants will be expected to convene for the training program that beings at 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 16, 2022.
During and after the orientation program, orientation assistants will participate in a reflective evaluation of the entire orientation program.
Note that orientation assistants will be very busy from August 14-25 and should not have other obligations or responsibilities within that time frame.
In mid-November, orientation assistants will help set up and attend Orientation Reunion.
- What's the compensation?
Orientation assistants and returning orientation assistants will receive $300 for participating in the orientation program. Orientation assistants will also receive a $50 bonus for additional responsibilities such as participating in both the orientation program and programming during Fall semester for new students.
Applications will open February 1, 2022!Apply now!
Steps to apply:
All application materials must be turned in to Esther Kwak’s office in the Commons Annex no later than Monday, February 28, 2022 at 12 p.m.(noon). Applicants will only be considered once all materials, including online recommendations, are submitted.
- Complete the online application form (click the apply button above).
- Upload your resume in pdf format here.
- Find two people to submit an online recommendation. Applicants are responsible for contacting their references and ensuring that the recommendation forms are submitted by 12 p.m.(noon) on Monday, February 28.
What's the selection process?
The first stage of the selection process will be based on the submitted resume, application, and references. After reviewing these, a group of candidates will be selected to be interviewed during the week of March 6, 2022. Selected orientation assistants will be notified the following week.