What you need to know

International students studying in the U.S. on student visas want to be sure to stay in good status while they are here. Calvin’s International Admissions Team can answer any immigration questions. Workshops with detailed information are held at the beginning of each semester; international students are required to attend.

F-1 Regulations

International students who come to the U.S. to study and are seeking a degree usually come on F-1 visas and should know and carefully follow the F-1 regulations »

I-20 Requests

Current students may request an updated I-20. Please log-in with your Calvin email address (username@students.calvin.edu) and passphrase.

J-1 Regulations

International students who come to the U.S. as exchange students for one or two semesters usually are on J-1 visas and should know and carefully follow the J-1 regulations.

Social Security Number

In order to work in the U.S., one must have a social security number (SSN). International students here on F1 visas can obtain a social security number; however it can only be used for on-campus jobs. To get such a number, students must first find an on-campus job. Once they’ve been given a job offer, they will receive a letter of employment. With this letter, they can apply for the number. Social security representatives will give a receipt at the time students apply for a number. Once students have the receipt, they may start working.

Social security representatives come to Calvin’s campus near the beginning of each semester so that international students can apply for their social security number without leaving campus. However if students find a job later in the semester, they can take a go to the social security office with the proper paperwork in hand.

Social Security Number Application Form