Use of Controlled Substances in Research

Basic information

The information contained in this document is provided to support faculty and staff if they are using or intend to use controlled substances in research activities. The principal investigator (the registered user) retains full responsibility for compliance with state and federal regulations as conveyed by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

If you intend to use controlled substances in your research, this manual will provide clear and concise guidance. The main requirements are listed below:

  1. Notify Environmental Health and Safety if you intend to use Controlled Substances.

  2. Register with the State of Michigan and the US Drug Enforcement Agency

    These registrations establish an accountable relationship between the individual (principal investigator) and the regulatory agencies.

  3. Provide a secure location for controlled substances

  4. Allow only trusted individuals access and use of controlled substances

  5. Be able to track the life cycle of all controlled substances; from ordering to receipt to use to disposal. You must be able to establish (in writing) how each drug was used and by whom and for what purpose.

  6. Report any and all suspicious activity to Campus Safety: loss, theft or misuse of controlled substances.


Jennifer Ambrose: (616) 526-6342


  • Course code:
  • Credits:
  • Semester:
  • Department: