Intramural Athletics (Guidelines & Regulations)
General guidelines and regulations for intramurals at Calvin. Specific guidelines and policies may be found for individual teams.
Team Captains must sign up teams online by midnight the Thursday before leagues start.
- Team members are to be listed on the entry form submitted during team registration.
- Only players listed on the rosters will be allowed to play.
- Names cannot be added to the team rosters after the first week of play.
- To add a team member after team registration please call or e-mail the IM office prior to the new team member playing.
- Participants may not change teams after the season begins.
- Participants can only play on one team per sport during that particular season.
- Players will need to present their current Calvin ID before each game or they will not be allowed to participate.
- Calvin Intramurals will "monitor" player and team conduct during each regular season game/match.
- Staff will record a number rating the sportsmanship of each team.
- The top score will be a 5 (excellent conduct) and the lowest score will be a 1 (unacceptable conduct).
- Teams will need to have an average of 3 (average or expected conduct) to participate in post season play.
All teams are responsible for officiating their own games and matches.
Intramural supervisors are empowered to deliver a yellow or red card in all intramural leagues and tournaments.
- All scores should be reported to the IM supervisor.
- If the sport is not supervised, scores should be reported to the IM office.
- Teams are responsible for keeping official score.
- Varsity/JV/Club players are permitted to play in advanced leagues only as specified for each sport.
- No Varsity/JV/Club players are permitted to play in non-advanced recreation leagues.
|Sport||Number of varsity/JV/club athletes allowed per team|
|7 vs. 7 soccer||3|
|4 vs. 4 beach volleyball||2|
|2 vs. 2 beach volleyball||1|
|6 vs. 6 indoor volleyball||3|
|5 vs. 5 basketball||2|
|3 vs. 3 basketball||1|
- Due to weather, Varsity and JV tournament play, special events, and other unforeseen circumstances, play may need to be re-scheduled.
- Captains will be emailed by 3pm the day of the game if there is a conflict.
- Make-up games will be played during a blocked time at the conclusion of league or tournament play.
Red cards and yellow cards
To encourage a sense of community in intramural sports, no referees will be provided for games. It is our hope that such an environment teachings teams and individuals to be self-monitoring and responsible for their own behavior.
An intramural assistant will be present to assist with the logistics of all activities.
Any individual or team that is found guilty of acting in an unsportsman-like manner may be disqualified from all IM participation for the balance of the individual's college career, or any part thereof. The opinion of the sports supervisor will be the deciding factor in the suspension of a participant. However, all suspensions will be reviewed by the IM director. If another member of the team is a party to the unsportsmanlike conduct, that individual or the team may be barred from IM participation for the balance of the year or any part thereof.
Some examples of the infractions which would be considered as an unsportsmanlike act are:
- Playing under an assumed name.
- Playing illegally on more than one team.
- Misrepresenting a score.
- Being a varsity/jayvee participant and withholding the fact.
- Willfully taking action to injure an opponent.
- Playing "out of position" to gain unfair advantage in IM sports where ability is an important part of positioning.
- Behaving grossly or unruly at an IM contest either as a player, coach or spectator.
- Using swear words toward another or swearing loudly.
- Any other unsportsmanlike or unacceptable action displayed in any manner or degree.
IM supervisors are empowered to deliver a yellow or red card in all intramural leagues and tournaments. If a player or teams unsportsman-like conduct warrants a yellow card, the coach will receive a warning and take responsibility for altering the teams conduct. If a team or players unsportman-like conduct warrants a red card, the player or team will be disqualified from the league and/or tournament.
- Departments and offices
- Intramural Athletics (Team Captains)
- Intramural Badminton
- Intramural Basketball (3 vs. 3)
- Intramural Basketball (5 vs. 5)
- Intramural Bowling
- Intramural Dodgeball
- Intramural Flag Football
- Intramural Floor Hockey
- Intramural Indoor Soccer (Coed)
- Intramural Indoor Soccer (Men's)
- Intramural Outdoor Soccer
- Intramural Ping Pong
- Intramural Softball (Coed)
- Intramural Softball (Men's)
- Intramural Tennis (Coed Doubles)
- Intramural Tennis (Singles)
- Intramural Ultimate Frisbee
- Intramural Volleyball (Coed)
- Intramural Volleyball (Sand)
- Intramural Wiffle Ball (Coed)
- Course code: