- Approved by:
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Last updated: January 9, 2018
Calvin College is committed to ensuring the safe handling, storage, and disposal of potentially biohazardous materials used in research and academic activity at the College. The purpose of this manual is to provide the necessary procedures, guidance and information for the safe use of biohazardous or potentially biohazardous agents at Calvin College (Calvin).
Biohazardous materials addressed in this manual and of interest to the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) include the following:
- Risk Group 1, or unknown, or potentially infecting agents (including cell lines)
- Recombinant DNA
- Biological agents listed by National Institutes of Health in Risk Group 2, 3 and 4
- Human and non-human primate cells, tissue and/or blood
- Select agents and biological toxins identified by the Centers of Disease Control
The manual contains procedures for acquiring authorization to use, purchase, and possess biohazardous agents; safety precautions to follow when working with biohazards; emergency procedures for handling accidents involving biohazardous agents; and procedures for the disposal of biohazards. All other appropriate regulations and guidelines (radiation, chemical, occupational safety, etc.) must also be followed.
- Course code: