- BS – Calvin College, biology, 1984
- MS – The Ohio State University, zoology, 1987
- MA – The Ohio State University, English, 1989
- PhD – The University of Michigan, linguistics and developmental psychology, 1999
- the intersection of child language and cognitive development
- disability studies
- stroke survivors
- the integration of disability studies with a medical model of disability
(In press). "The development of verbal justifications in the conversations of adults and preschool children." First Language, special issue on Conversation in language development and use.
With Gelman, S., Sarnecka, B., and Flukes, J. (2008). "Generic language in parent-child conversations." Language Learning and Development, 4, 1-31.
(2003). The effects of bilingualism on theory of mind development. Bilingualism 6 (1), 1-15.
(2002). Book review of Pathways to Language. Journal of Culture and Cognition 2(1).
With Shatz, M. (1999). When and how peers give reasons: Justifications in the talk of middle school children. Journal of Child Language 26, 721-748.
- Off-campus programs:
- Course code: