Mary S. Hulst
- PhD (2006) – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, communication ethics and the philosophy of religion
- MDiv (1995) – Calvin Theological Seminary
- BC (1991) – Calvin College, classical studies
Rev. Dr. Mary S. Hulst has served as University Pastor since 2009. Before coming to Calvin College, she spent eight years serving as the senior pastor at Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids before leaving to pursue a PhD in communication ethics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her bachelor’s degree is in classical studies from Calvin College, and her master of divinity was granted by Calvin Theological Seminary. Dr. Hulst taught for one year in the Communications Arts and Sciences Department at Calvin College and then for two years at Calvin Theological Seminary, as Assistant Professor of Preaching, where she still teaches on occasion. You can follow her on Twitter @PastorMary2U and find her on Facebook as “Pastor Mary.”
Calvin Theological Seminary
- 2007-2009 – Assistant Professor of Homiletics (tenure track)
- 2009-present – University Pastor
- 2006-2007 – Assistant Professor of Communication Art and Sciences (term appointment)
Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church
- 1995-2003 – Pastor
- Book: A Little Handbook for Preachers (IVP Praxis 2016).
In the news
A journey from violence and despair to hope and healing
Alumna publishes "Ruined," a memoir detailing her survival and recovery from a brutal attack
The fab four return
Esteemed professors reunite at January Series
Cold knight plunge not so cold
Record high temperatures made the Cold Knight Plunge a little more bearable this year.
The power of sermons
Calvin chaplain Mary Hulst ’91 has written a book about preaching for both preachers and those in the pews.
- Course code: