Mary Molewyk Doornbos
- BSN University of Michigan 1980
- MS University of Michigan 1983
- PhD Wayne State University 1993
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
- Instructor of Nursing (September 1983 – August 1986)
- Assistant Professor of Nursing (September 1986 – August 1990)
- Associate Professor of Nursing (September 1990 – August 1994)
- Professor of Nursing (September 1994 – Present)
Administrative Responsibilities in the Department of Nursing
- Acting Chairperson of Department (Fall 1986)
- Acting Chairperson of Department (Spring and Fall 1999)
- Chairperson of Department (Fall 2004 - 2010)
- Hope Behavioral Health Services, Family Support Group, January 2004 – December 2004, Professional Facilitator
- Hope College, Holland Michigan, Counseling Center, September 1984 - April 1987, Nurse Therapist (one evening a week during academic year)
- Providence Hospital, Southfield, Michigan, June 1980 - July 1982, Staff Nurse, Intermediate Cardiac Care Unit
- NURS-307 - Theory: Community Based/Mental Health
- NURS-380 - Critical Reflections
- NURS-482 - Advanced Roles in Nursing
- Course code:
- Doornbos, M.M., Ayoola, A., Topp, R., & Zandee, G.L. (in press). Conducting research with community groups. Requested by Western Journal of Nursing Research. Online First February 26, 2015 as doi:10.1177/0193945915573633
- Jansen, D.A., Jadack, R.A. Ayoola, A., Doornobs, M.M., Dunn, S., Moch, S.D., Moore, E.M., & Wegner, G. (in press). Embedding research in undergraduate learning opportunities. Requested by Western Journal of Nursing Research. Online First February 17, 2015 as doi:10.1177/0193945915571136
- Zandee, G.L., Bossenbroek, D., Slager, D., Gordon, B., Ayoola, A., Doornobs, M.M. & Lima, A. (2015). The impact of integrating community-based participatory research into a baccalaureate nursing curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(7), 394-398. doi:10.3928/01484834-20150617-07
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., & DeGroot, J. (2014). Attending to communication and patterns of interaction-Culturally sensitive mental health care for groups of urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved women. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 20(4), 239-249. DOI: 10.1177/1078390314543688
- Doornbos, M.M. (2014). General assessment and the mental status exam. In T. Mansen & J. Gabiola (Eds.), Patient-focused assessment: The art and science of clinical data gathering. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J. & De Maagd-Rodriguesz, M. (2013). Using community-based participatory research to explore social determinants of women's mental health and barriers to help-seeking in three urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved communities. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 27(6), 278-284.
- Doornbos, M.M. (2007). King’s systems framework and a theory of family health in the families of adults with persistent mental illnesses - An evolving conceptualization. In M.A. Frey & C. Sieloff (Eds.), King's Framework and Theory for Nursing. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.
Selected Paper Presentations
- Doornbos, M.M. & Ayoola, A. (April 18, 2015). "Investing in the future-Graduate schools facilitators and barriers.". Midwest Nursing Research Society, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., & DeGroot, J. (March 28, 2014). "Designing culturally sensitive care groups for urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved women - Attending to communication and modes of interaction." Midwest Nursing Research Society, St. Louis Missouri.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L. & DeGroot, J. (July 23, 2013). "Social determinants of women's mental health in three ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved United States communities." Sigma Theta Tau International, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J., & Bossenbroek, D. (March 8, 2013) "Supportive/educative groups as a culturally sensitive intervention for women's anxiety and depression in three urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved communities." Midwest Nursing Research Society, Chicago, Illinois.
- Consultant to the Government Accountability Office: Bipartisan request from Chairman Pete Start of the Health Subcommittee of the House Committee on Ways and Means and Ranking Member Gordon Smith of the Senate Special Committee an Aging. "Challenges of caregivers of adult children with serious mental impairments or emotional disturbances." August, 2007.
- Dordt College Department of Nursing. CCNE accreditation consultation. June, 2006.
- Trinity Western University Department of Nursing. External reviewer - integration of Christian faith throughout departmental curriculum and scholarship. September 2006.
- Consultant to the Government Accountability Office: Bipartisan request from Chairman Pete Stark of the Health Subcommittee of the House Committee on Ways and Means and Ranking Member Gordon Smith of the Senate Special Committee on Aging: Challenges of caregivers of adult children with serious mental impairments or emotional disturbances
- Qualitative Health Research - April, 2013 - present
- Archives of Psychiatric Nursing - December, 2011 - Present
- Western Journal of Nursing Research - January, 2007
- Applied Journal of Gerontology - August, 2007
- Michigan Association of Colleges of Nursing, Treasurer
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Michigan Nurses Association - Lakeshore District, Past Member - Nominating Committee
- Midwest Nursing Research Society - Abstract Reviewer
- Sigma Theta Tau International -Kappa Epsilon Chapter-At-Large and Rho Chapter, Leadership Succession Committee
- Award for Excellence in Nursing Education - Kappa Epsilon Chapter-at-Large of Sigma Theta Tau International; April, 2003
- Calvin Research Fund (CRF). "Supportive/educative Groups as a Culturally Sensitive Intervention for Ethnically Diverse, Urban, Impoverished Women Struggling with Depression and Anxiety." Approved, funded October, 2012 for one course release during 2013-2014
- Perrigo Company Foundation. "Supportive Educative Groups for Ethnically Diverse, Urban, Impoverished Women Struggling with Depression and Anxiety." Approved, funded June, 2012, $10,000.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing 1999-2000 Fellow of the Summer Nursing Research Institute
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: