Jason E. VanHorn
PhD - The Ohio State University (Geography)
MS - Texas A&M University (Geography)
BA - Indiana University (Double-major in Geography and Political Science)
Originally from Indiana, Dr. VanHorn grew up with a facination for maps. At an early age he became interested in cartography from the various road atlases and National Geographic Magazine thematic maps that he came across.
Professor VanHorn joined the GEO department at Calvin College in 2007 and has been recongized for his contributions to the field of geography through publication, research with undergraduate students, and international speaking engagements. His consulting work continues to grow to include work both domestically in the United States as well as abroad.
- geographic thought and philosophy
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- remote sensing
- geography of terrorism
- GEOG-110 - World Regions
- GEOG-261 - Geographic Information Sys & Cartography
- GEOG-295 - Special Topics in Geography
- GEOG-310 - Urban Geography
- GEOG-310L - Urban Geography Lab
- GEOG-361 - Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG-362 - Remote Sensing of the Earth
- GEOG-380 - Seminar in Geographic Thought
- Course code:
- VanHorn, JE and NA Mosurinjohn. A Needs-Based Approach to Accessibility and Location Efficiency of Congregational Social Programs, in The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics, Stanley Brunn (Ed), Springer 2015.
- Abigail Belford,Seth D. Kenbeek,Jason VanHorn, and Deanna van Dijk. Using Remote Sensing and Geospatial Analysis to Understand Changes to Lake Michigan Dunes. Geological Society of America Special Papers, 508-512.
- VanHorn, JE and NA Mosurinjohn. Urban 3D GIS Modeling of Terrorism Sniper Hazards. Social Science Computer Review, November 2010 (28): 482-496.
- Wheeler, DW, VanHorn, JE and E Paskett. A Comparison of Design-Based and Model Based Analysis of Sample Surveys in Geography. The Professional Geographer, 60 (4): 466-477.
2017 VanHorn JE and C Strikwerda in Amid the Ruins: The Ottoman Empire, 1300-1924 by Douglas Howard. Cambridge University Press. Ten maps.
2016 Reynolds, C, Scheeres, A. and JE VanHorn. The Plaster Creek Mapping System. An online application in journal map form. http://gis.calvin.edu/plastercreek.
2015 VanHorn JE and D van Dijk. Understanding Michigan Dunes. An online application in the journal map form. http://gis.calvin.edu/dunes.
2014 VanHorn JE. Understanding Your Geography. An online application of demographics to learn about your neighborhood in the United States. http://goo.gl/N3nDMR.
2014 VanHorn JE, van Dijk D, Burkley K, Hilbrands B, Hughey A. Michigan Dunes Inventory GIS. An online application of the Michigan Dunes. http://gis.calvin.edu/MDI.
2013 VanHorn, JE, Liu, C and WH SooHoo. Plaster Creek Watershed GIS. An online application for analysis and visualization of Plaster Creek watershed, Michigan. http://gis.calvin.edu/PlasterCreek/PC/ (Version 2).
2011 Selles, O, VanHorn, JE, and D Warners. Calvin Tree Inventory. An online mashup of the Calvin College trees. http://gis.calvin.edu/trees.
2011 VanHorn, JE. Spatial Perspectives | Comparing Grand Rapids, Michigan. An online mash up for scale comparison of urban extents with Grand Rapids, Michigan. http://gis.calvin.edu/urban.
2011 VanHorn, JE and S Kenbeek. Plaster Creek Watershed GIS @ Calvin College. An online GIS system for synergy of teaching and research on the creek. http://gis.calvin.edu/PlasterCreek/PC/ (Version 1).
2010 VanHorn, JE. Map – Paterson, NJ. In Robert Schoone-Jongen, “There was work in the valley: Dutch immigration to New Jersey, 1850-1920.” Tijdschrift voor Sociale en Economische Geschiedenis 10: 56-81.
2010 VanHorn, JE and L DeVos in Christianity and modernity in Eastern Europe. BR Berglund and B Porter-Szucs (eds.), Budapest: Central European University Press:
- Map – Catholic participation in contemporary Poland, pg 139. In J Bjork, Bulwark or Patchwork? Religious Exceptionalism & Regional Diversity in Postwar Poland (129-158);
- Map – Greek Catholic church in postwar western Ukraine, pg 161. In N Shlikhta, Competing Concepts of “Reunification” behind Liquidation of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (159-190);
- Map – Communist era Romania, pg 193. In A Şincan, From Bottom to Top & Back: On How to Build a Church in Communist Romania (191-216);
- Map – Religion in the interwar Czech lands, pg 348. In B Berglund, Drafting a Historical Geography of East European Christianity (329-372);
- Map – Absence of religion in the Czech Republic, pg 349. In B Berglund, Drafting a Historical Geography of East European Christianity (329-372).
2009 VanHorn, JE. National Atlas for Developing Countries. An online atlas site available at http://gis.calvin.edu/atlas/index.html.
2008 VanHorn, JE and SJ Jonker. The Calvin College Ecosystem Preserve. An online GIS system available at http://gis.calvin.edu/ccep. (Version 1) (Version 2, 2012) (Version 3, 2015)
DATA & SOFTWARE PUBLICATION
2014 VanHorn, JE. Kurdish Conflict Database (Version 1.0), http://gis.calvin.edu/data.html.
2009 Winck, E, Bascom, J, & JE VanHorn. GeoLearner (Version 1.0) [Software]. Grand Rapids. http://www.geolearner.com
- Association of American Geographers
- American Geographical Society
2015 Student-Faculty Research Award at Calvin College
In the news
Calvin earns Tree Campus USA designation
For the second year in a row, Calvin College was named a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation.
Calvin students create national atlases
Students in a Calvin geography class have created online national atlases for Eritrea, Thailand and Nepal with more on the way.
Calvin students track trees in the Ecosystem Preserve
Every five years a team of students and professors survey the 3-4,000 trees in the college's Ecosystem Preserve, recording each tree’s location, type, diameter, health and height.
Fulbright student to map geography of refugees
Janaya Crevier will be heading to Austria in September 2016 to explore the journeys of a half dozen refugee families.
Interim: The Geography of Terrorism
In this class, students put terrorism on the map.
Mapping Calvin's trees
Calvin biology and GIS classes have inventoried every tree on campus. One student made an online map.
Senior teaches GIS in Ethiopia
Emma DeVries taught the country's top geographers how to use global information systems software.
Story map project aims for ecological justice in Plaster Creek watershed
Students Annaka Scheeres and Charlotte Reynolds ’16 teamed up with Professor Jason Van Horn to create a digital story of the watershed and its populations.
Geography professor trains his expert eye, and GIS mastery, toward solving 'real-world problems'
Partnership helps construct digital atlas of Ethiopia
Senior teaches geographic software during interim
- Student organizations:
- Course code: