Herman De Vries
- BA Calvin College 1988 (German)
- MA University of Cincinnati 1990 (German)
- PhD University of Cincinnati 1996 (Germanic Languages and Literatures)
- (Dissertation: Nicolaus Selnecker's Psalter Commentary (1565): A Documentary Study on Psalm Versification)
- Early-modern German literature
- German Enlightenment
- Current trends in the Dutch language
- DUTC-101 - Elementary Dutch
- DUTC-102 - Elementary Dutch II
- DUTC-201 - Intermediate Dutch
- DUTC-202 - Intermediate Dutch II
- GERM-303 - Introduction to German Literature
- Course code:
Articles and essays
“Classroom Devotions in the Foreign Language Course: Possibilities for Effecting Change in Student Motivation and Attitude.” Journal of Christianity and Foreign Languages 3 (2002): 10-30.
“Is the Dutch Language Threatened by English?” Dutch International Society Magazine 32.1 (2000): 9-15.
“Sunday Invocabit,” Perspectives: A Journal of Reformed Thought (March 2000): 3.
“The EUROTECH Module: A Curricular Innovation for German Instruction.” Foreign Language Annals 30.3 (1997): 369-377. Co-authored with Richard P. Long.
“Nicolaus Selnecker and Visual Portrayal of the Psalmist.” DAPHNIS: Zeitschrift für Mittlere Deutsche Literatur 4 (1996): 33-51.
- Co-translated narrated texts for Oberon, King of the Elves: A Romantic Opera in Three Acts. By Carl Maria von Weber. New Stage Directions by Gustav Mahler. Narrated texts by Claus H. Henneberg
Books, journals, and newsletters edited
EUROTECH Newsletter (UConn) vols. 1 (1996) & 2 (1997) 16 pp.
Assistant Editor, Focus on Literatur: a journal for German-language literature 2.1 (1995) 124 pp.
Assistant Editor, Focus on Literatur 1.2 (1994) 122 pp.
Editor, Focus on Literatur 1.1 (1994) 110 pp.
Editorial assistant, Lessing Yearbook 25 (1993) 306 pp.
- Professor De Vries teaches Dutch, German, and German literature Romanticism, 18th-20th century.
- Course code: