- MPhil, Institute for Christian Studies
- MA, University of Virginia
- PhD, University of Virginia
- Netherlandish Art, ca. 1400-1700
- Methods of Art Historiography
- ARCT-201 - Architectural History I
- ARCT-202 - Architectural History II
- ARTH-101 - Intro to the History of Art I
- ARTH-232 - Early Christian & Byzantine Arts
- ARTH-233 - Medieval Art
- ARTH-234 - Northern Renaissance Art
- ARTH-235 - Italian Renaissance Art
- ARTH-243 - Art of the Americas
- Course code:
Recent Publications: Books
- Snyder’s Medieval Art (co-authored with Dorothy Verkerk). 2nd Edition (Prentice-Hall, 2005).
- Northern Renaissance Art (co-authored with Larry Silver). 2nd Edition (Prentice-Hall, 2004).
- A Moral Compass: Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Painting in the Netherlands (co-authored with Arthur Wheelock, Lawrence Goedde, and Mariët Westermann). Exhibition Catalogue (Rizzoli and Grand Rapids Art Museum, 1999).
Recent Publications: Edited Volumes
- Art, Community, and Cultural Democracy (co-edited with Lambert Zuidervaart). (Palgrave Macmillan, 2000).
- Pledges of Jubilee: Essays on Art and Culture in Honor of Calvin G. Seerveld (with Lambert Zuidervaart). (Eerdmans, 1995).
Recent Publications: Selected Essays
- “Walking While Standing Still: Faith and Spiritual Pilgrimage in Late Fifteenth-Century Netherlandish Painting” in Push Me, Pull You: Art and Devotional Interaction in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Edited by Laura Gelfand and Sarah Blick (Brill, forthcoming in 2010).
- “The Quality of Mercy: Representations of Charity in Early Netherlandish Art (co-authored with Larry Silver).” Studies in Iconography 29 (2008): 216-48.
- “Monastic Hospitality: The Cloister as Heart in Early Netherlandish Painting” in Image and Imagination of the Religious Self in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Edited by Reindert Falkenburg, Walter Melion, and Todd Richardson (Brepols, 2008), pp. 313-32.
- “The Art of Devotion in Haarlem before and after the introduction of Calvinism” in Worship in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Change and Continuity in Religious Practice. Edited by Karin Maag and John Witvliet (Notre Dame University Press, 2004), pp. 81-99.
In the news
Stirring the World
Printmaking in the Age of Martin Luther
- Course code: