- Dr. Albert Boerema
- Education, Master of Education
- Spoelhof University Center 315 (Map)
- (616) 526-6036
- MA, Royal Roads, 1999
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 2005
- Educational leadership advisor
Albert Boerema combines a wealth of K-12 experience with innovative expertise in the field of educational leadership. Beginning his career as a science and math teacher at a small Christian high school in Canada, he quickly established himself as a leader, and served as the principal of the school for eighteen years. After earning a PhD in leadership, policy, and organizations at Vanderbilt University’s renowned Peabody School of Education, he now is the resident expert in the field of educational leadership at Calvin College. He combines an active research agenda with strong teaching, where each informs the other.
His research interests include leadership development and school change, and he has published numerous articles in this area. Not content to train future principals and other leaders merely in the expertise of administrative management, his passion lies in helping leaders to forge an approach to leadership that is visionary and rooted in their own ethical frames and religious traditions. His strength is helping future leaders develop frames of thinking that allow them to navigate institutional limitations while capitalizing on collaborative opportunities to move such institutions through change as they meet the challenges of the 21st century.
- Boerema, A. (2011). A research agenda for Christian schools. Journal of Research on Christian Education.
- Boerema, A. (2011). Challenging and supporting new leader development. Educational Management Administration & Leadership.
- Boerema, A. (2010, May). Leadership theory for Christian Schools. Paper presented at the International Community of Christian Teacher Educators Conference, LeTourneau University, Longview, TX.
- Hekman, B., Boerema, A, & Walcott, J. (2010, February). Leadership training workshop. Nehemiah Center, Managua, Nicaragua.
- Boerema, A. (2009). Does mission matter? An analysis of private school achievement differences. Journal of School Choice, 3 (2) pp. 112-137.
- "Five Theses on Christian Education Leadership" (lecture, Lumina College Research Institute International Conference, Hong Kong, China, January 26, 2018
- Talk contributed at a conference. International Christian Community for Teacher Education (ICCTE) 2014 (Biennial Conference). Redeemer University College, Ancaster, Ontario. 05/30/2014
- Column Editor, Panel.Edu, Christian Educators Journal, 2006-present.
- Reviewer, Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 2010.
- Proposal Reviewer, University Council for Educational Administration.
- Board Member, International Community of Christian Teacher Educators.
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: