Adel S Abadeer
- Dr. Adel S Abadeer
- Economics, Global Development Studies
- Hiemenga Hall 355 (Map)
- (616) 526-6199
- Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D. in Economics, Boston University, Boston, MA
- M.A. in Economic Policy, Boston University, Boston, MA
- M.A. in Economics, Asyout University, Asyout, Egypt
Prof. Abadeer has a Ph.D. in Economics from Boston University (1992). His academic fields include new institutional economics, development economics, and applied microeconomics. His current research includes new institutional economic analysis of gender discrimination in less developed countries. Prior to coming to Calvin, Dr. Abadeer taught at Boston University and Tufts University, and did research at the Boston Institute for Developing Economies. Prof. Abadeer’s publications include his books, "Norms And Gender Discrimination in the Arab World" (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015) and “The Entrapment of the Poor into Involuntary Labor: Understanding the Worldwide Practice of Modern-Day Slavery” (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen, 2008), and paper, “Seeking Redemptive Diversity in Christian Institutions of Higher Education: Challenges and Hopes from Within”, Journal of Christian Higher Education, 2009.
- New institutional economics
- cultural economics
- applied microeconomics
- development economics
Research and scholarship
- How Informal Norms Marginalize Women in Less Developed Countries
- Religious ‘Beliefs’ and Gender Discrimination in Collectivist Societies in LDCs
- Institutional analysis of racism and diversity
Norms and Gender Discrimination in the Arab World
by Adel SZ Abadeer
Published: October 1, 2015
The Entrapment of the Poor into Involuntary Labor: Understanding the Worldwide Practice of Modern-Day Slavery
by Adel SZ Abadeer
- Reviewer/contributor (2009) “Chapter Three: The Economics of Global Warming Policy”, in Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, “A Renewed Call to Truth, Prudence, and Protection of the Poor: An Evangelical Examination of the Theology, Science, and Economics of Global Warming.” Burke, VA. Pp: 45-76.
- Abadeer, Adel. (2009). “Seeking Redemptive Diversity in Christian Institutions of Higher Education: Challenges and Lessons from Within.” Christian Higher Education, 8(3): 187-202.
Recent Conference Presentations & Activities
- “How Informal Norms Marginalize Women in Less Developed Countries.” Presented at the Association of Christian Economists: the Next 25 Years’ Conference. Baylor University, Waco, TX, April 2009.
Other Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- “Human Trafficking.” Lecture hosted by Calvin College’s Social Justice Committee, May 2009.
- “Issues Facing Arab Americans.” Panel Discussion. Calvin College’s Multicultural Student Advisory Board. April 2009.
- “Understanding the World of Islam." Panel discussion. Fifth Reformed Church, Grand Rapids, MI, February 2009.
- “Sexuality, Human trafficking, and Human Rights.” Facilitator. Hosted by Calvin College’s Sexuality Series, January 2009.
- Association of Christian Economists (ACE): member
- Boston Institute for Developing Economies (BIDE): member of Professional Affiliates
- American Economic Association: member
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: