For non-Canadian international students
Test results are considered in addition to your grades from high school. Information about your country's grading system will be considered when we assess your transcript. We will usually consult with you and the Educational Advising Center nearest your home if there is a need for clarification.
ACT/SAT, TOEFL and IELTS
Calvin University requires the SAT or ACT for international applicants where such a test requirement is appropriate to their situation. Applicants who are in any one of the following settings are required to include the ACT or SAT as part of their admissions application materials:
- will have graduated from a high school in the United States
- will have graduated from an international school that follows a U.S. high school curriculum
- will have graduated from an international school where English is the primary language of instruction
- will be transferring from another U.S. college or university where s/he has earned less than one year of credit
- have attended a Canadian high school and have cumulative average marks from grades 9-12 below 75%
If you are not required to submit the SAT or ACT (according to the listing above), please submit the TOEFL or IELTS or ELS Level 112 certificate.
Several scholarships that are available to international students are based upon results from the SAT or ACT test. Any international student who may be eligible for academic scholarships is encouraged to take one of these exams even though it may not be required for admissions purposes.
Minimum standards for admission
|ACT (#1968)||SAT (#1095)|
|The writing sections of the ACT and SAT are not required.|
TOEFL & IELTS
- Paper-based TOEFL 550
- Computerized TOEFL 213
- Internet-based TOEFL 80
- IELTS 6.5
- TOEFL code for Calvin #1095
We strongly encourage all students to consult their local EducationUSA advising center as they begin the application process, as they can provide valuable advice about testing, financial aid, and immigration issues.