Get involved with a dedicated community of like-minded students and faculty, eager to grow in their knowledge and experience. Take the opportunity to study abroad on one of Calvin's off-campus semester programs, or one of the numerous interims, or join a student organization related to your specific interests.
Opportunities to study abroad
Put your public health knowledge to work in the real world by participating in an off-campus interim or semester. Research global health in Hungary and learn how to fight the spread of HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty, discover how to influence health care policies by doing an internship in Washington, D.C. or partner with SafeWater Ghana and bring clean water to people at risk from poor water consumption.
The Henry Semester in Washington, D.C.
- In Washington, D.C. you'll gain a real-world perspective on the ideas you've learned in the classroom at Calvin. Political science major or not, you can work with Career Development to find a place to gain valuable experience in your field of study. And all this with the nation's capital as the backdrop. You might work at CNN, the Canadian Embassy, the Department of Transportation, Amnesty International or even the White House—the possibilities are endless.
Semester in Ghana
- Find yourself standing in a crowd full of surprising contrasts: a young woman wearing traditional clothing is text-messaging a friend while a suited businessman walks by, carrying a traditional offering to a tribal chief. This is Ghana, where the country's diverse peoples and cultures are finding ways to coexist in a rapidly modernizing country.
Semester in Hungary
- You could spend an entire day traversing the seven bridges that span the beautiful blue Danube, connecting one side of Budapest to the other. On your way, you'll see an old-world-meets-new-world city emerging from centuries of foreign invasion and rule.
BIOL W80 Puerto Rico: Viral Infections, Vaccine Development, and Valued Biodiversity
- Puerto Rico has one of the highest HIV incidence and death rates in the US, many outbreaks of Dengue Fever, and recently it has been hit hard by the Zika virus. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a branch on the island, which became a center to do research on the Zika outbreak and control measures. Puerto Rico also became a national center for HIV/AIDS vaccine development in 2014.
Join a student organization
Environmental Stewardship Coalition
- The Environmental Stewardship Coalition (ESC) aims to raise consciousness of current environmental issues to the Calvin community and emphasize our collective responsibility for Christian stewardship.
Social Justice Coalition
- Social Justice Coalition (SJC) seeks to promote social justice—both locally and globally—through education, advocacy, and action. We foster active responses to injustices, specifically in human rights.
Students for Compassionate Living
- Students for Compassionate Living seeks to educate the Calvin community about the practical implications of its daily choices with regard to animals, and to support students who strive to redeem fallen structures in issues of animal welfare.