The provost, along with members of the Academic Council:
- Articulates and promotes the Reformed Christian mission of the University.
- Develops and employs a distinguished, multicultural faculty of Reformed Christian conviction.
- Provides oversight of the educational policies and programs of the University.
- Continues the development of dynamic, liberal arts-grounded curricula that remain responsive to new fields and shifting interests and needs.
- Directs allocation of resources to academic departments, the Hekman library and other academic programs.
- Promotes effective faculty governance policies and practices.
- Strengthens and supports faculty development in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, cultural competency and inclusive excellence, and Reformed Christian engagement in teaching, learning and scholarship.
- Strengthens and supports student success through oversight of student academic services, advising programs, college registration services and encouragement of co-curricular goals.
- Provides oversight and coordination of programs and partnerships that engage with communities around the world.