- BS, Calvin College, Physics and Mathematics, 1977
- PhD, University of Colorado Boulder, Physics, 1983
- Academic dean, Calvin College, 2010–present
- Professor, Calvin College, 1991–present
- Visiting scholar, University of Rochester (Rochester, NY), 1992–93
- Associate professor, Calvin College, 1985–91
- Visitor, JILA (Boulder, CO), 1986
- Assistant professor, Calvin College, 1983–85
- Consultant, JILA (Boulder, CO), 1984
- Research associate, JILA, 1983, and assistant professor, University of Colorado at Denver, 1983
Professor Haan has been named a Fellow in the American Physical Society.
Theoretical atomic physics, especially as relating to the interaction of atoms with high-intensity lasers; science education
- PHYS-336 - Classical Mechanics II
- Course code:
Note: an asterisk by a name indicates an undergraduate assistant.
S.L. Haan, N.A. Danks,* and K.N. Shomsky,* "Sequential ionization and energy gain of bound electrons in classical modeling of atoms in strong laser fields," Phys. Rev. A 86, 033418 (2012). http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevA.86.033418 DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.86.033418
S.L. Haan, Z.S. Smith,* K.N. Shomsky,* P.W. Plantinga,* and T.L. Atallah,* "Anticorrelated Electrons from High-Intensity Nonsequential Double Ionization of Atoms," Phys. Rev. A 81, 023409 (2010).
K.N. Shomsky,* Z.S. Smith,* and S.L. Haan, "Frustrated Ionization in Non-Sequential Double Ionization: A Classical Model," Phys. Rev. A 79, 061402(R) (2009).
S.L. Haan, Z.S. Smith,* K.N. Shomsky,* and P.W. Plantinga,* "Electron Drift Directions in Strong-Field Double Ionization of Atoms," J. Phys. B 42, 134009 (2009).
S.L. Haan, Z.S. Smith,* K.N. Shomsky,* and P.W. Plantinga,* "Anticorrelated Electrons from Weak Recollisions in Non-Sequential Double Ionization," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 41 (2008) 211002. This paper was selected for inclusion in IOP Select (November 2008), and was highlighted in Europhysics News 40, Number 1, page 15, (2009).
S.L. Haan, Z.S. Smith,* and J.S. VanDyke,* "Recollision Excitation, Electron Correlation, and the Production of High-Momentum Electrons in Double Ionization," Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 113001 (2008).
S.L. Haan and Z.S. Smith,* "Classical explanation for electrons above the 2Up cutoff in strong-field double ionization at 390 nm," Phys. Rev. A. 76, 053412 (November 2007).
Professor Haan has been named a Fellow in the American Physical Society. Read more.
In the news
Thinking about Thinking
New neuroscience concentration draws on numerous disciplines
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: