Mary E Flikkema
- Mrs. Mary E Flikkema
- Nursing, Emerita
- Science Building (Map)
- Diploma in Nursing, Bronson Methodist Hospital School of Nursing, 1972
- BS, Health Sciences, Western Michigan University, 1986 (Cum Laude)
- MSN, Adult Health, Grand Valley State University, 1989 (Magna cum Laude)
- Doctoral study, Wayne State University, 1991-1996
- Doctoral study, Michigan State University, 1997-2000
- Cardiovascular Nursing, Critical Care
- Calvin College Department of Nursing, Associate Professor, 2002 - present
- Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, Associate Professor, 1989-2003
- Butterworth Hospital, Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse, Critical Care, 1981-1989
- Blodgett School of Nursing, Faculty, 1974-1980
- Blodgett Hospital, Staff Nurse, Medical & Critical Care, 1972-1974
- Families of persons experiencing chronic cardiac disease
- Self-care of cardiovascular patients
- Nursing education
- NURS-357 - Thry: Young, Middle & Older Adults
- NURS-358L - Health for Adults Lab
- NURS-377 - Thry: Cmty Focused Nurs/Ldrshp Mngmt
- NURS-380 - Critical Reflections
- Course code:
- Christian Perspectives in Nursing (writing project with interdisciplinary work group), Eerdmans Publishing.
- "The Intangibility of Caring Practice." Address at the final pinning ceremony for the Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, 2003.
- "Christian Caring--What are the Boundaries?" Presented at A Christian Perspective on Professional Responsibility in Nursing, 2001.
- "Meeting the Needs of the Future: Nursing Recruitment." Spectrum Hospital Alumni Association & Administrators, 2001.
- "Nursing Education & New Graduates." Panel discussion, Spectrum Hospital Nurse Educators, 2000.
- "Interactive Teaching Strategies for Nursing in the Distance Learning Classroom." Michigan Nurses Association Convention, 1999.
- "Providing Culturally Sensitive Care in the Acute Care Setting." Zeeland Hospital, 1998.
- Board Member, Christian Rest Home (Chair, Personnel Committee)
- Elder, Grace Christian Reformed Church
- Parish Nurse, Grace Christian Reformed Church
- American Society on Aging
- Michigan Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International -- Kappa Epsilon Chapter-at-Large
- Phi Kappa Phi
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses, 1982-1985
- Michigan Nursing Diagnosis Association, Program Chair, 1992-1993
- Hope-Calvin Honor Society, Faculty Advisor, 1994-1996
- Grand Valley State University Alumni Board, 1994-1995
- "Types, Extent & Effect of Spiritual Care for Residents at the End-of-Life in Continuum of Care Facilities." Fetzer Foundation, grant pending (2002-2003).
- "Client's Perceived Adequacy of Education related to Fears and Adjustments following Myocardial Infarction." American Heart Association, 1988.
In the news
Jessica Van Marion Visser ’04
- Course code: