Marcie J. Pyper
- BA Calvin College
- MA Michigan State University
- PhD Michigan State University
Research and scholarship
Areas of interest include world language teacher education, second language acquisition, methodology, and curriculum development; language learning in study abroad programs; and integration of moral and spiritual values in second language learning.
Recent conference presentations include the following:
- “Student identity, language acquisition and study abroad” (with C. Slagter). Michigan Academy (MASAL) Annual Conference. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. March 10, 2017.
- “Linguistic Loneliness: Christian community vs language immersion?” (with C. Slagter). Christian Association of World Languages. Houghton College, Houghton, New York. 15 April 2016.
- “Living the Dream: Designing an Elementary Field Experience to Match Pedagogical Goals,” Ninth International Conference on Language Teacher Education, Minneapolis, MN. 16 May 2015.
- “Shifting the Paradigm for Christian World Language Teaching: Learning from the Past, Working Together for the Future” (with C. Slagter). North American Christian Foreign Language Association. Biola University, La Mirada, CA, March 2015.
- “Oral Proficiency: Moving Your Students from Novice to Intermediate to Advanced” (with C. Slagter). Christian Educator’s Association annual meeting. Century Center, South Bend, IN. 25 October 2013.
- Pyper, Marcie J. & Cynthia Slagter. (2015). “Competing priorities: Student perceptions of helps and hindrances to language acquisition during study abroad.” Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad Volume XXVI, Fall 2015.
- Pyper, Marcie J. & Cynthia Slagter. (2013). “Spiritual Engagement and Study Abroad: Student Perspectives.” In Journal of Christianity and Foreign Languages, 14 (Spring 2013).
- Off-campus programs:
- Course code: