- Kate Strater
- Assistant Professor
- Education, Master of Education
- SC 397
- EdD, Northern Kentucky University, 2016
- Director of Special Education Certification Program, Campbellsville University, 2016
- MA, University of Northern Colorado, 2005
- Beechwood Independent School District, Director of Exceptional Student Services, 2016-2018
- Boone County Board of Education, Special Education Coordinator, 2010-2016
- Boone County Board of Education, Autism Itinerant Teacher, 2007-2010
- Kalamazoo Regional Educational Services Agency, Teacher of the Autistic Impaired, 2005-2007
- Laradon Hall, Special Education Teacher, Moderate and Severe Disabilities, 2003-2005
- Goal Attainment and Quality of Life through Inclusive College for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disability AILACTE Conference. Virtual Conference, Seattle, WA. 2/25/2021
- Post high school transition to work: An examination of self -determination
in young adults with intellectual disabilities participating in Project SEARCH,
21st Annual National Association of QDDPs Conference, Louisville, KY, 2016
- Post high school transition to work: An examination of self-determination in young adults with intellectual disabilities participating in Project SEARCH, Project SEARCH Annual Conference, Orlando, FL 2016
- Supporting Interns in Physically Demanding Jobs, Project SEARCH Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, 2016
- Ready for Competitive Employment: Lessons from Project SEARCH, Council for Exceptional Children Conference, Louisville, KY, 2015
- A Comparison of Reading Growth Across Learning Groups, Student Research Symposium, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY, 2014
- Developing a Positive Behavior Intervention Plan: From Data to Intervention, Northern Kentucky Counseling Association, Thomas More College, Crestview Hills, KY, 2011
- Data Collection, Functional Behavior Assessment, and Behavior Plans, Bowles Center Diversity Education Conference, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY, 2010
- From Integration to Belonging: Exploring College with Young Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disability, 80th Annual Michigan Council for Exceptional Children Conference, Grand Rapids, MI, 2020.
- Goal Attainment and Quality of Life through Inclusive College for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disability: A Pilot Study, AILACTE Conference, Atlanta, GA, 2020
- Strater, K. “A Faculty Guidebook: Supporting Faculty Teaching Inclusive Classes.” University of Massachusetts Boston, Institute for Community (2022).
- Dombrowski, E. L. & Strater, K. E. (2021). The inclusion journey: From program to identity. In L.E. Swaner (Ed.), Leading Insights (pp. 70-85). Association of Christian Schools International.
- Strater, K. E. (2021). A review of the research on inclusive Christian education. In L.E. Swaner (Ed.), Leading Insights (pp. 38-50). Association of Christian Schools International.
- “The Emergence of Self-Determination in Young Adults with Intellectual Disability Participating in Project SEARCH,” AILACTE Journal 16 (2019): 45–66.
Northern Kentucky University, Dissertation Review Committee Member, Dissertation: "Improving Employment Outcomes for Students with Disabilities: A Collaborative Approach" by Melissa Marsh, EdD, 2018
Peer Review Panel
Disability Studies Quarterly International Christian Community of Teacher Educators Journal
Ready for Life
Grand Rapids, MI
Vector Solutions Exceptional Child Professional Development
System Video interviews for evidence-based online educator training
Community-Based Teaching Award, 2022
AILACTE Scholar Award, 2019-20
This award is given to a faculty member in his or her first five years as a full-time faculty member to conduct research related to the impact of teacher preparation. Dr. Strater will use the award funds to support her Ready for Life Academy research.
A Transition and Postsecondary Program for Students with Intellectual Disabilities (TPSID): $1,198,704 grant from the United States Department of Education, 2020.
- Student organizations:
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: