- Completed a BS at Kansas State University, 1980
- Earned an MA from Kansas State University, 1982
- Received his PhD in geography from the University of Iowa, 1989.
- Taught at East Carolina University for 11 years
- Joined the GEO department in 2000
- World Regional Geography (Geog 110)
- Geography of the Global Economy (Geog 230)
- Geography of Africa (Geog 242)
- Introduction to Development Studies (Ids 201)
Recent Interim Courses
- Ethiopia - Communities of Hope
- Leadership, Geography and Culture in Kenya
Professor Bascom taught at East Carolina University for 11 years before joining the GEO department at Calvin in 2000. Twice he has been a visiting lecturer at University of Asmara, and he was once a Research Fellow at Oxford University.
- Developing regions
- Economic geography
- Refugees and internally displaced persons
- Geographic pedagogy
- GEOG-110 - World Regions
- GEOG-230 - The Global Economy
- GEOG-242 - Africa
- IDS-201 - Intro to International Development
- Course code:
- Bascom, Johnathan and Laura VanderNeut, 2008. Banking on Community: Indigenous Credit Associations in Eritrea,
African Geographical Review, 27:17 - 33.
- Dixon, Deborah, Leo Zonn and Johnathan Bascom. 2008. Post-ing the Cinema: Reassessing Analytical Stances toward
a Geography of Film. In The Geography of Cinema - A Cinematic World, Chris Lukinbeal and Stefan Zimmermann (eds),
25 - 47. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner.
- Bascom, Johnathan. 2008. Book Review - Repatriation, Integration or Resettlement: The Dilemmas of Migration among
Eritrean Refugees in Eastern Sudan. By Sadia Hassanen. Journal of Refugee Studies. 21(3):412 - 414. (doi:10.1093/jrs/
In the news
Another Fulbright to work in Ethiopia
Geography professor Johnathan Bascom will collaborate on an electronic geography textbook.
Two Fulbrights, two continents
Johnathan Bascom will spend his Fulbright year in Ethiopia, and Corwin Smidt will spend his in The Netherlands.
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: