- Completed a BS at Kansas State University, 1980
- Earned an MA from Kansas State University, 1982
- Received his PhD in geography from the University of Iowa, 1989.
- Taught at East Carolina University for 11 years
- Joined the GEO department in 2000
- World Regional Geography (Geog 110)
- Geography of the Global Economy (Geog 230)
- Geography of Africa (Geog 242)
- Introduction to Development Studies (Ids 201)
Recent Interim Courses
- Ethiopia - Communities of Hope
- Leadership, Geography and Culture in Kenya
Professor Bascom taught at East Carolina University for 11 years before joining the GEO department at Calvin in 2000. Twice he has been a visiting lecturer at University of Asmara, and he was once a Research Fellow at Oxford University.
- Developing regions
- Economic geography
- Refugees and internally displaced persons
- Geographic pedagogy
- GEOG-110 - World Regions
- GEOG-230 - The Global Economy
- GEOG-242 - Africa
- IDS-201 - Intro to International Development
- Course code:
- Bascom, Johnathan and Laura VanderNeut, 2008. Banking on Community: Indigenous Credit Associations in Eritrea,
African Geographical Review, 27:17 - 33.
- Dixon, Deborah, Leo Zonn and Johnathan Bascom. 2008. Post-ing the Cinema: Reassessing Analytical Stances toward
a Geography of Film. In The Geography of Cinema - A Cinematic World, Chris Lukinbeal and Stefan Zimmermann (eds),
25 - 47. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner.
- Bascom, Johnathan. 2008. Book Review - Repatriation, Integration or Resettlement: The Dilemmas of Migration among
Eritrean Refugees in Eastern Sudan. By Sadia Hassanen. Journal of Refugee Studies. 21(3):412 - 414. (doi:10.1093/jrs/
In the news
- Course code: