- Completed a BS in Environmental Science at Wheaton College, 1996
- Earned an MA in Theology from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2000
- Received his PhD in Natural Resource Policy from Cornell University, 2006
- From 2006–2008 taught at Valparaiso University, Indiana
- Joined GEO department in 2008
- Human Modification of the Global Environment (ENST 210)
- Environment and Society: issues and policies (ENST 302)
- Seminar in Environmental Studies (ENST 395)
- Special Topics in Environmental Law
- Occasional field courses in the American West
- Dutch Landscapes Interim, January 2017
- Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland
- Federal land and resource policy
- The American west
- ENST-210 - Human Impacts on the Environment
- ENST-302 - Environment and Society
- ENST-395 - Seminar in Environ Studies
- GEOG-295 - Special Topics in Geography
- Course code:
- Skillen, James R. “BLM.” Encyclopedia of American Environmental History. Kathleen Brosnan, editor. New York: Facts on File, Forthcoming.
- ______. “Congress and the Next Public Land Commission.” Forest History Today (Forthcoming).
- ______. The Nation’s Largest Landlord: The Bureau of Land Management in the American West. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2009.
- ______. "Closing the Public Lands Frontier: The Bureau of Land Management, 1961-1969." Journal of Policy History 20, no. 3 (2008): 417-443.
______. “Made in the Image of God and the Earth: Understanding Our Place in God’s Creation.” The Cresset 51, No. 3 (2008): 6-14.
- Baer, Richard A. Jr., James A. Tantillo, Gregory E. Hitzhusen, Karl E. Johnson, and James R. Skillen. "From Delight to Wisdom: Thirty Years of Teaching Environmental Ethics at Cornell." Worldviews: Environment, Culture, Religion 8, no. II-III (2004): 298-322.
In the news
Faculty Profile: James Skillen
In an ideal world, Calvin professor James Skillen says, his job description would be simple: backpacking. "Unfortunately, though, that’s not how it works," he joked.
Tapping Calvin's maple resources
Environmental studies professor James Skillen is no stranger to syrup.
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Off-campus programs:
- Course code: