- BA Calvin College
- MA New York University
- PhD Indiana University
Camino Interim 2014
Professor Slagter enjoys hiking in the woods with her husband and her dog, Noche. She loves discovering new foods and trying new recipes. She’s also fanatical about her early morning workouts!
- Course code:
Research and scholarship
Areas of interest include include Spanish cinema, Camino de Santiago, language acquisition and study abroad.
Recent conference presentations include the following:
- “Camino de Santiago as a Cross-Cultural Experience,” Sacred Journeys: Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage 4th Global Conference. IU China Gateway Beijing, China. October 26, 2017.
- “Language and the Camino de Santiago,” Symposium on Pilgrimage Studies. College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA. October 7, 2017.
- “Hospitality, Encountering the Other, and Student Identity Formation during Study Abroad Experiences.” Christian Association of World Languages. Dordt College, Sioux Center, Iowa. April 7, 2017.
- “Student identity, language acquisition and study abroad” (with M. Pyper). Michigan Academy (MASAL) Annual Conference. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. March 10, 2017.
- “Linguistic Loneliness: Christian community vs language immersion?” (with M. Pyper). Christian Association of World Languages. Houghton College, Houghton, New York. 15 April 2016.
- “Shifting the Paradigm for Christian World Language Teaching: Learning from the Past, Working Together for the Future” (with M. Pyper). North American Christian Foreign Language Association. Biola University, La Mirada, CA, March 2015.
- “Student Intentionality and Personal Volition: Keys to Successful Language Learning during Study Abroad” First International Conference on Spanish in Study Abroad Programs: Learning in a Cultural Immersion Context. Alcalá de Henares, Spain June 18, 2015
- “Competing priorities: Student perceptions of helps and hindrances to language acquisition during study abroad.” Volume XXVI, Fall 2015 Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, (www.frontiersjournal.org) (with M. Pyper).
- “Spiritual Engagement and Study Abroad: Student Perspectives.” Journal of Christianity and Foreign Languages 14 (2013) 33-50 (with M. Pyper).
- “The Long-term Personal and Professional Benefits of Participating in Off-Campus Programs.” (with Larson, K.; DeGraaf, D.; Ditta, E.) Frontiers Journal (2013 Fall/Winter) http://www.frontiersjournal.com/frontiersjournalvolxxiiifall2013.htm
- Study Guide to Learning from the Stranger. (with M. Pyper) The Kuyers Institute, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI. http://www.calvin.edu/kuyers/files/LearningFromTheStranger_StudyGuide.pdf.
- “Recontextualizing Autobiographical Video.” (with M. Pyper) The Language Educator 5.2 (2010) 58-60.
- “Blindness.” The Emmaus Readers: More Looking for God in Contemporary Fiction. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press, 2009.
- “The Children of Men.” The Emmaus Readers: Looking for God in Contemporary Fiction. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press, 2008.
- “Approaching Interpretive Virtues Through Reading Aloud.” Teaching Spiritually Engaged Reading. Ed. David I. Smith, John Shortt, and John Sullivan. Nottingham, UK: The Stapleford Centre, 2007. 95-107.
- Course code: