Put your learning to work and bring the most vital resource to the world's neediest communities. Study real-world problems related to clean water off-campus while providing real-world solutions.
Current and past research and scholarship
|(Bio)sand Filtration: Best Practices within Ethiopian Context: Implications for Global Use||June 2017–present||Kelly DuBois, David Wunder|
|Best Practices for the Disinfection of Rural Community Water Supplies in Ecuador||Summer 2016–2019||Robert Hoeksema, Chad Tatko, Donald Tellinghuisen, David Wunder|
|Data Analysis of Filed Survey Results for Point One Distribution, Use, and Impact in Liberia||June 2017–August 2021||Kristen Alford, Jason VanHorn, Randall Pruim, Stacy De Ruiter|
|Preservation and reactivation of an ancient water delivery system at the Umm el-Jimal archeological site in Jordan||January 2017–2019 or 2020||Bert de Vries, Robert Hoeksema, David Wunder|
- Arsenic removal technologies
- Bagasse charcoal for water treatment
- Drinking Water Distribution and Disinfection Improvements for Curahuasi, Peru
- Pharmaceuticals and slow sand filtration
- Reconnaissance of water resources in Chimizal, Honduras
IDIS W46 Water and Ecuador
- We explore water and its complexities in the context of a population demographics, landforms and water sources, cultural and governmental expectations, and the efforts of non-governmental agencies. The main portion of the course occurs within rural Andean communities south of Quito.
IDIS W42 In Search of Clean Water in Ethiopia
- We explore the country's complexities in the context of an increased population, climate change, land degradation, economic development, cultural change (including that by the Christian church) and the efforts of non-governmental agencies. The main portion of the course occurs in South Gondar.
IDIS W42 Engaging Development in Cambodia
- The goal of this class is to identify and understand the root causes of abject poverty in Cambodia and Thailand, then to participate with a wide variety of organizations supporting development activities.