The work that goes into public health initiatives is often taken for granted, but the results of it are all around us. The water we drink, the air we breathe, the food we eat, the places in which we live and work and the diseases we try to manage are all shaped by the science and practice of public health.
Calvin has intentionally designed the public health major to encourage creative and flexible interactions with other disciplines and professions. The opportunities for linking public health to other academic disciplines are diverse—ranging from sociology, biology, economics and political science to math, global development and health education, to name a few options.
Considering a career in medicine, physical therapy, or nursing? Combine you pre-professional program with a public health major or minor. Perhaps a career as a lawyer or policy advisor? Combine the public health major with a mejor or minor in political science or communications. Such versatility allows you to blend your passions and interests in meaningful ways as you prepare for life after Calvin.
Because of the interdisciplinary nature of the public health major, faculty members across a variety of Calvin's academic programs will teach your classes, lead your projects and serve as your advisors. As committed Christians, they take time in courses, advising appointments and research partnerships to connect with you personally and professionally, helping you to discover God’s plan for your life more fully.
Facilities and equipment
As a public health student at Calvin, you will have access to extensive facilities and cutting-edge technology for study and research, including:
- A fully-equipped electroencephalograph (EEG) lab for measuring brain waves.
- A human performance laboratory housing equipment such as treadmills, stationary bikes, ergometers and computers to analyze body composition.
- Aquariums, two greenhouses, 10 state-of-the-art research labs, 11 teaching labs, a DNA sequencer and a flow cytometer.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.