As a student, you’ll get hands-on clinical experience working in one of four urban, culturally-diverse neighborhoods in Grand Rapids.
You will learn the health care strengths and needs of these neighborhoods and have the chance to engage in service-learning and neighborhood renewal. Working with people in their own environment will give you a context when you are getting clinical experience in the hospital.
The nursing department curriculum flows from the mission of the university to prepare students to be agents of reconciliation and renewal in our world. Join us in continuing the university's commitment to service learning and community partnerships.
- Love kids? Baxter-Madison focuses on health education for kids and older adults. You have the opportunity to shadow a school nurse, teach sessions at the community center, and meet with a resident at a senior housing facility to gain experience in health assessment.
- As a student working in Burton Heights, you will have the opportunity to interact with culturally diverse clients and work on your language skills. You will have the opportunity to proactively approach clients searching for healthcare information and services.
- With an established presence in the Creston-Belknap neighborhood, you will focus on health education for the whole community and learn how to make strategic plans for a neighborhood.
- As a student in the Heartside neighborhood, you will work with a large homeless population, listen to the voice of the patient, and account for their environment.
Current Research in the Neighborhoods
- Using Community-Based Participatory Research to Explore Social Determinants of Women's Mental Health and Barriers to Help-Seeking in Three Urban, Ethnically Diverse, Impoverished, and Underserved Communities
- Teams of community health workers and nursing students effect health promotion of undeserved urban neighborhoods.
- Low-income women's recommendations for promoting early pregnancy recognition.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin's dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.