As a student, you’ll get hands-on clinical experience working in one of four urban, culturally-diverse neighborhoods in Grand Rapids.
You will learn the health care strengths and needs of these neighborhoods and have the chance to engage in service-learning and neighborhood renewal. Working with people in their own environment will give you a context when you are getting clinical experience in the hospital.
The nursing department curriculum flows from the mission of the university to prepare students to be agents of reconciliation and renewal in our world. Join us in continuing the university's commitment to service learning and community partnerships.
- Love kids? Baxter-Madison focuses on health education for kids and older adults. You have the opportunity to shadow a school nurse, teach sessions at the community center, and meet with a resident at a senior housing facility to gain experience in health assessment.
- As a student working in Burton Heights, you will have the opportunity to interact with culturally diverse clients and work on your language skills. You will have the opportunity to proactively approach clients searching for healthcare information and services.
- With an established presence in the Creston-Belknap neighborhood, you will focus on health education for the whole community and learn how to make strategic plans for a neighborhood.
- As a student in the Heartside neighborhood, you will work with a large homeless population, listen to the voice of the patient, and account for their environment.
Current Research in the Neighborhoods
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Birth to Kindergarten
- Pre-Kindergarten to 3rd Grade
- 3rd to 6th Grade
- Art: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- French: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- Health & PE: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- Spanish: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- Special Education Pre-K to 12th Grade
- TESOL: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- Secondary Education
- English: 5th to 9th Grade
- Math: 5th to 9th Grade
- Science: 5th to 9th Grade
- Social Studies: 5th to 9th Grade
- English: 7th to 12th Grade
- Math: 7th to 12th Grade
- Science: 7th to 12th Grade
- Social Studies: 7th to 12th Grade
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional Midwest universities.