There are several steps in the selection process for the Jubilee Fellows program. Students complete an online application. Candidates then participate in a group interview. Finally, students are interviewed individually by members of the selection committee. Twelve students are selected and invited to participate in the program.
Applying for the Jubilee Fellows program implies your understanding of and compliance with the following requirements:
- Currently a Calvin junior applying for participation during your junior and senior years (spring, summer, and fall of 2018).
- Strong inclination toward leadership and future participation in Christian ministry in a church setting.
- A suggested minimum GPA of 3.3. If your GPA is lower than 3.3, you are still able to apply. We will consider your GPA alongside your complete application and your interviews in order to determine if you are qualified for the program.
- Available to attend the Calvin Symposium on Worship to be held January 25-27, 2018 (during interim break).
- Available to participate in the Jubilee Fellows seminar course (CMS 378), Spring Semester 2018. This course meets on Tuesday evenings from 5:15-9:30 p.m.
- Available for a full-time 10-week church-based internship in the summer of 2018. The exact internship dates vary and are decided upon once an internship location has been determined.
- Available to attend a reflection retreat at the end of August. Attendance is not negotiable (with the exception of students departing early for fall semesters abroad).
- Agree to serve Calvin College in a ministry-related capacity during the fall of 2018 (approximately 40 hours).
- The stipend received entails payment of social security and income taxes.
A complete application to the Jubilee Fellows program will include the following components:
- A one-page professional resume that includes your education information (major/minor(s), GPA, etc.), as well as activities reflecting service and leadership in the church, college and/or community. Indicate the length and nature of your involvement.
- A 3-page essay including responses to the following:
- Describe your Christian faith journey, and why becoming a Jubilee Fellow is important to you.
- How has your involvement in ministry led you to consider a future in ministry or church leadership?
- What are you hoping to learn about the church, and/or what kinds of church ministries would you like to explore through your internship?
- Provide a copy of your transcript (an unofficial copy can be printed from the Portal) to Kary Bosma in Hiemenga Hall 319.
- Request two recommendation forms to be completed on your behalf and sent to Kary Bosma. At least one of the recommendations must be completed by a Calvin faculty or staff member. Please give the program description along with the recommendation form to those giving your recommendation. It is your responsibility to ensure we receive the recommendation forms by Tuesday, October 10 in order for them to be considered with your application.
Before beginning your application, please be sure to have your resume and essay prepared and ready to submit. There will be an opportunity within the online application for you to upload those documents. When you are ready to complete the online application, follow this link.
Applications are due Tuesday, October 10 by 11:00 p.m. Following the application deadline, all applicants are expected to attend a group interview and an individual interview. The group interview will be held on Saturday, October 14, 2017 from 9 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the Meeter Center Lecture Hall in the Hekman Library building. Individual interviews will take place the week of October 16, and a sign-up list will be available at the group interview. The selection committee will choose 12 students to participate in the program, based on the applicants' applications and interviews.