There are several steps in the selection process for the Jubilee Fellows program. Students complete an online application and will be interviewed by the selection committee. Twelve students are selected to participate in the program.
Applying for the Jubilee Fellows program implies your understanding of and compliance with the following requirements:
- Currently a Calvin junior applying for participation during your junior and senior years: spring, summer, and fall of 2020. For the 2019-2020 academic year, Sophomores are also welcome to apply.
- Strong inclination toward leadership and future participation in Christian ministry in a church setting.
- A minimum GPA of 3.3. However, if your GPA is lower than 3.3, you are still able to apply. We will consider your GPA alongside your complete application and your interview in order to determine if you are qualified for the program.
- Available to attend the Calvin Symposium on Worship to be held January 30-February 1, 2020, during interim break.
- Available to participate in the Jubilee Fellows seminar course (CMS 378), Spring Semester 2020. This course meets on Tuesday evenings from 5:30-9:30 p.m.
- Available for a full-time 10-week church-based internship in the summer of 2020. The exact internship dates vary and are decided upon once an internship location has been determined.
- Available to attend a reflection retreat August 22, 2020. Attendance is not negotiable, with the exception of students departing early for fall semesters abroad.
- Agree to serve Calvin University in a ministry-related capacity during the fall of 2020, with an approximate time commitment of 40 hours.
- The stipend received entails payment of social security and income taxes.
A complete application to the Jubilee Fellows program will include the following components:
- A one-page professional resume that includes your education information (major/minor(s), GPA, etc.), as well as activities reflecting service and leadership in the church, university, and/or community. Indicate the length and nature of your involvement.
- A 3-page essay including responses to the following:
- Describe your Christian faith journey, and why becoming a Jubilee Fellow is important to you.
- How has your involvement in ministry led you to consider a future in ministry or church leadership?
- What are you hoping to learn about the church, and/or what kinds of church ministries would you like to explore through your internship?
- Provide a copy of your transcript to Cindy DeBoer in Hekman Library 315C. An unofficial copy can be printed from the Portal.
- Request two recommendation forms to be completed on your behalf and sent to Cindy DeBoer. At least one of the recommendations must be completed by a Calvin faculty or staff member. Please give the program description along with the recommendation form to those giving your recommendation. It is your responsibility to ensure we receive the recommendation forms in order for them to be considered with your application.
Before beginning your application, please be sure to have your resume and essay prepared and ready to submit. There will be an opportunity within the online application for you to upload those documents.
Applications for the 2020 program are due October 14, 2019. Applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. The selection committee will choose 12 students to participate in the program, based on the applicants' applications and interviews.