- BA Lawrence University 1972 (English)
- MA and all PhD course work Indiana University 1980 (Chinese)
- Associate Professor, Calvin College (2000-present)
- Assistant Professor, Calvin College (1984-2000)
- Assistant Professor, Albion College (1980-1984)
Larry Herzberg has been a professor of Chinese at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan since 1984, when he started the Asian Languages Program here. He is also currently serving as Director of Asian Studies. After studying Chinese for five years at Vanderbilt University, he did his PhD work in Chinese language and literature at Indiana University. Together with his Chinese wife, Xue Qin, he has published three books, including “The Chinese Survival Guide,” “Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar,” and “Chinese Proverbs and Popular Sayings.” He and his wife have also produced three films on China, including “China Today: Issues that Trouble Americans at the Start of the 21wt Century,” “The China Threat: Perception versus Reality,” and “Chinese Dialects and Their Influence on the Pronunciation of Mandarin.” In 2010 he received the FEN (From Every Nation) Award from the college and in 2011 he received the Presidential Award for Exemplary Teaching, the highest honor bestowed on faculty members by Calvin College.
Cats, travel, cats, gardening, cats.
His wife, Xue Qin Herzberg, is an instructor of Chinese language for the Third and Fourth Year courses at Calvin College and a graduate of Beijing Normal University in Chinese language and literature.
- Language pedagogy: teaching Chinese language and culture
- Writing books on Chinese language and culture for both students and the general public
- Making documentary films on China today for the general public
- CHIN-101 - Elementary Chinese
- CHIN-102 - Elementary Chinese II
- CHIN-201 - Intermediate Chinese
- CHIN-202 - Intermediate Chinese II
- Course code:
Chinese Dialects and Their Effect on the Pronunciation of Mandarin (DVD): 2015 Calvin Video Productions
- Learn Chinese Through Mnemonics: Fun Ways to Remember Spoken and Written Words and Their Tones (Stone Bridge Press CA, 2016)
- Writing Guide for Learners of Chinese (Yale University Press, 2016)
- Chinese Proverbs (chapter in "Encyclopedia Of the Chinese Language) (Routledge Press, 2015)
Author of “Chinese Proverbs: A Window on Chinese Thought and Culture” (Stone Bridge Press, 2011)
Author of “Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar: A Student’s Guide to Correct Structures and Common Errors” (Stone Bridge Press, 2010)
Author of “China Survival Guide: How to Avoid Travel Troubles and Mortifying Mishaps” (Stone Bridge Press, 2008; revised edition, 2011)
- Produced documentary film on China today (63-minute DVD) entitled “China Today: Issues that Trouble Americans at the Start of the 21st Century” (Calvin Media Foundation, 2008)
Violinist with the Grand Rapids Symphony, playing over 100 concerts per year (1980-present)
Violinist with the Nashville Symphony (1971-1976)
- Played violin on numerous records with Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Rod Stewart, etc. (1971-1976)
- Presidential Award for Exemplary Teaching, 2011
- From Every Nation Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2010
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: