- MEd, University of Toronto, 1987
- EdD, University of Toronto, 1998
- Graduate program in literacy and reading advisor
James Rooks’ work in literacy and reading education has spanned 20 years. During this time he has been awarded three Title II professional development grants to work with teachers from public and Christian schools in the Grand Rapids area, and he has taught graduate courses in literacy and cultural awareness and has lead professional development programs for teachers in Honduras.
His association with Calvin began some time ago, when he received his undergraduate degree here. He earned his master’s and doctorate degrees from the University of Toronto and taught at Redeemer University College in Canada. He has taught at the elementary and high school levels and served as a principal in Christian schools in the Toronto area. He is now Dean of Education at Calvin College.
- President of the Michigan Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (MACTE) for the 2017-18 academic year.
- Chair of the Deans and Representatives of Teacher Education Programs (DARTEP) in Michigan.
- Served as a reviewer for an article for the ICCTE Journal.
- Served on the Grand Rapids Christian Schools Faith Nurture Advisory group.
- Participated in the Reconciliation and Restoration reading group studying Witnessing Whiteness by Shelly Tochluk.
- Organized and hosted a three-day workshop for 55 teachers and administrators as part of the Title II grant.
- Served on the Meijer Good Schools Foundation Review Team, April 2009 at Campus School (GRPS).
- Rooks, J. (2009). Interview for KIDS HOPE podcast on strategies for effective tutoring.
- Rooks, J. (2009). Teaching Reading in Christian Schools, presentations for the B.J. Haan conference.
- Rooks, J. (2009) Led a graduate workshop for Christian School Teachers in Tegucigalpa, Honduras on “Teaching Reading and Writing to Second Language Learners.”
- Teaching Language Arts at a Christian Immersion School International School Consultation, Tegucigalpa, Honduras March 21-25, 2011.
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: