- MSN, Community Health Nursing, Wayne State University, 1993
- BSN, Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, 1990
- Community Health Nursing
- Associate Professor of Nursing, Calvin College Grand Rapids, Michigan 2009 - present
- Calvin College Department of Nursing, Community Partnership Coordinator, 2001 - present
- Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, Assistant Professor, 1993 - 2000
- Sparta Health Center, Community Health Nurse, 1994
- Blodgett Hospital, Staff Nurse, Cardiac Care Unit, 1990 – 1993
- Health Promotion / Illness Prevention
- Community Based Participatory Research
- Community / Campus Partnerships for Health
- Community Health Worker Programs
Research and scholarship
- Zandee, G.L, Slotsema, S., & Timmermans, B.B. (under review). Changes in health and access to care for a low income, Hispanic / Latino, urban neighborhood after implementation of the affordable care act. Public Health Nursing.
- Doornbos, M. M., Zandee, G., Timmermans, B., Moes, J. DeGroot, J., DeMaagd-Rodriguez, M., Smit-Scholman, J., Zietse, M., Heitsch, E., & Quist, M. (under review). Women supporting women: Supportive/educative groups for ethnically diverse, urban, impoverished women dealing with depression and anxiety. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing.
- Alford, K., Zuverink, A., & Zandee, G.L. (in press). Barriers to health care: Who is affected and how can Christians in social work address these barriers? Social Work and Christianity.
- Ayoola, A.B., Adams, Y.J., Kamp, K., Zandee, G.L., Feenstra, C. & Doornbos, M.M. (2017). Promoting the future of nursing by increasing zest for research in undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Professional Nursing, 33 (2), 126–132.
- Ayoola, A.B., Sneller, K.S., Ebeye, T.D, Dykstra, M.J., Ellens, V.L, HaEun, G.L, & Zandee, G.L (2016). Preconception health behaviors of low-income women. Maternal Child Nursing, 41(5), 293-298.
- Ayoola, A.B., Zandee, G. & Tonlaar, Y. (2016). Women’s knowledge of ovulation, the menstrual cycle and its associated reproductive changes. Birth, 1-8.
- Ayoola, A.B., Slager, D., Feenstra, C. & Zandee, G. (2015). A feasibility study of women’s confidence and comfort in use of a kit to monitor ovulation. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 60(5), 604-609.
- Doornbos, M.M., Ayoola, A.B., Topp, R. & Zandee, G.L. (2015). Conducting research with community groups. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 37(10), 1323-1339.
- Zandee, G.L. Bossenbroek, D., Slager, D., Gordon, B., Ayoola, A.B., Doornbos, M.M. & Lima, A. (2015). The impact of integrating community-based participatory research into a baccalaureate nursing curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(7), 394-398.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J. (2014). Attending to communication and patterns of interaction: Culturally sensitive mental health care for groups of urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved women. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 20(4), 239-249.
- Ayoola, A.B., Zandee, G.L., Johnson, E., & Pennings, K. (2014). Contraceptive use among low-income women living in medically underserved neighborhoods. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 43(10), 455-464.
Sigma Theta Tau - Kappa Epsilon Chapter
- Excellence in Reserach Award. Sigma Theta Tau - Kappa Epsilon Chapter, December, 2015
- 2013 Award for Community Based Teaching, Calvin College, March 2013. (This award was given to the whole nursing department).
- Community/Academic Partnership First Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference. April 2012.
- Poster Award for "Mapping a Strategic Plan for Health: Community Based Participatory Research with Underserved, Low-Income, Urban Neighborhoods". Submitted to National Outreach Scholarship Conference. October, 2011.
- Community/Academic Partnership Second Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference, May, 2011.
- Leininger Breakthrough Award Honorable Recognition, September, 2008.
- Michigan Campus Compact Faculty/Staff Community Service-Learning Award, February, 2008
- Community Partnership Award. Calvin College, April, 2005
- Woman of Achievement Recognition. YWCA, Grand Rapids, MI, November, 2004.
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: