- MSN, Community Health Nursing, Wayne State University, 1993
- BSN, Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, 1990
- Community Health Nursing
- Associate Professor of Nursing, Calvin College Grand Rapids, Michigan 2009 - present
- Calvin College Department of Nursing, Community Partnership Coordinator, 2001 - present
- Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, Assistant Professor, 1993 - 2000
- Sparta Health Center, Community Health Nurse, 1994
- Blodgett Hospital, Staff Nurse, Cardiac Care Unit, 1990 – 1993
- Health Promotion / Illness Prevention
- Community Based Participatory Research
- Community / Campus Partnerships for Health
- Community Health Worker Programs
- Course code:
- Ayoola, A.B., Adams, Y.J., Kamp, K, Zandee, G.L., Feenstra, C. & Doornbos, M.M. (2017). Promoting the future of nursing by increasing zest for research in undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Professional Nursing, in press.
- Ayoola, A.B., Sneller, K.S., Ebeye, T.D., Dykstra, M.J., Ellens, V.L., HaEun, G.L. & Zandee, G.L. (2016). Preconception health behaviors of low-income women. Maternal Child Nursing, 41(5), 293-298
- Ayoola, A.B., Zandee, G. & Tonlaar, Y. (2016). Women's knowledge of ovulation, the menstrual cycle and its associated reproductive changes. Birth, 1-8.
- Ayoola, A.B., Slager, D., Feenstra, C. & Zandee, G. (2015). A feasibility study of women's confidence and comfort in use of a kit to monitor ovulation. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12347
- Doornbos, M.M., Ayoola, A.B., Topp, R. & Zandee, G.L. (2015). Conducting research with community groups. Western Journal of Nursing Research. doi: 10.1177/0193945915573633
- Zandee, G.L., Bossenbroek, D. Slager, D., Gordon, B., Ayoola, A.B., Doornbos, M.M., & Lima, A. (2015). The impact of integrating community-based participatory research into a baccalaureate nursing curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(7), 394-398. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20150617-07
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J. (2014). Attending to communication and patterns of interaction: Culturally sensitive mental health care for groups of urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved women. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 20(4), 239-249.
- Ayoola, A.B., Zandee, G.L., Johnson, E., & Pennings, K. (2014). Contraceptive use among low-income women living in medically underserved neighborhoods. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 43(10), 455-462. doi: 1111/1552-6909.12462
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J., & DeMaagd-Rodriguez, M. (2013). Using community-based participatory research to explore social determinants of women's mental health and barriers to help-seeking in three urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished, and underserved communities. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 27(278-284)
- Zandee, G.L., Bossenbroek, D., Slager, D., Gordon, B. (2013). Teams of community health workers and nursing students effect health promotion of underserved urban neighborhoods. Public Health Nursing, 30(5), 439-447.
Zandee, G., Bossenbroek, D., Friesen, M., Blec, K., & Engbers, R. (2010). Effectiveness of community health worker/nursing student teams as a strategy for public health nursing education. Public Health Nursing, 27(3), 277-284.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., & DeGroot, J. (2012). Clinging to any bit of joy: Urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished women’s descriptions of anxiety and depression. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 26 (6), 437-447.
- Zandee, G. (2012). Mapping a strategic plan for health: Community-based participatory research with underserved, low-income urban neighborhoods. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 16(3), 95-97.
- Doornbos, M.M., Zandee, G.L., DeGroot, J., & Warpinski, M. (2013). Desired mental health resources for ethnically diverse, impoverished women struggling with anxiety and depression. Qualitative Health Research, 23 (1),78-92.
- Ayoola, A. J., & Zandee, G. L. (2013). Low-income women's recommendations for promoting early pregnancy recognition. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 58(4), 41
Zandee. G. L. (2007). Transforming a nursing department by emphasizing place and partnership. In G. Heffner and C. D. Beversluie (PIs), Strengthening Liberal Arts Education by Embracing Place and Particularity. Teagle White Paper retrieved from http://www.calvin.edu/go/place
Feenstra, C., Gordon, B., Hansen, D., Zandee, G. (2006). Managing community and neighborhood partnerships in a community-based nursing curriculum. Journal of Professional Nursing, 22(4), 236-241.
Heffner, G. G., Zandee, G. L., & Schwander, L. (2003). Listening to community voices: Community-based research, a first step in partnership and outreach. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 8(1), 127-139.
Zandee, G. L. (2002). Reciprocity and partnership: The multidimensional impact of community driven nursing practice. In G. Heffner & C. Beversluis (Eds.), Commitment and connection: Service-learning and Christian higher education. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
Sigma Theta Tau - Kappa Epsilon Chapter
- Excellence in Reserach Award. Sigma Theta Tau - Kappa Epsilon Chapter, December, 2015
- 2013 Award for Community Based Teaching, Calvin College, March 2013. (This award was given to the whole nursing department).
- Community/Academic Partnership First Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference. April 2012.
- Poster Award for "Mapping a Strategic Plan for Health: Community Based Participatory Research with Underserved, Low-Income, Urban Neighborhoods". Submitted to National Outreach Scholarship Conference. October, 2011.
- Community/Academic Partnership Second Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference, May, 2011.
- Leininger Breakthrough Award Honorable Recognition, September, 2008.
- Michigan Campus Compact Faculty/Staff Community Service-Learning Award, February, 2008
- Community Partnership Award. Calvin College, April, 2005
- Woman of Achievement Recognition. YWCA, Grand Rapids, MI, November, 2004.
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: