“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.”
Our commitment to you
You’ve worked hard, and you’re eager to experience the fullness of Calvin’s heart and mind education. You shouldn’t have to worry about whether your future is secure. Here are six ways you can depend on Calvin to move forward with you.
Unconditionally, you can expect:
- To live out a powerful mission. At Calvin, we promise to offer a Christ-centered education that will equip you to think deeply, act justly, and live wholeheartedly as Christ’s agent of renewal in the world.
- To stay on track to meet your goals. Calvin will deliver what you need—on the platform necessary—to make steady progress toward the completion of your degree.
- A community that will rally around your education. Calvin is committed to providing you tutoring, academic coaching, and help sessions, in person and online.
- To feel and be your best. Local and regional students will have access to excellent health care resources, and all students will have advice to help them best utilize wellness resources no matter where they are.
- A schedule and a setting to meet the challenges of today. With your unique circumstances in mind, Calvin will offer multiple options for semester start terms, with a flexible calendar throughout the entire 2020–21 academic year. We are making plans to deliver an education that is adaptive to your needs in this season.
- To grow in Christian community. Calvin vows to continue opportunities for worship, small group Bible study, pastoral care, and times of prayer with members of our community around the globe because, at Calvin, discipleship matters as much as a degree.
For such a time as this
Whether on campus or around the world, Calvin students are equipped to make a powerful impact through Christ.
Take confidence in your calling
Recent events highlight how complex the challenges of our world can be. Though these are difficult times indeed, you don’t have to walk through them alone.
The world needs agents of renewal for Christ—perhaps now more than ever. Your Calvin journey will help you to explore and pursue your calling, without academic delays or setbacks.
You can begin Calvin courses in the fall with every confidence that this community has your back, and we will never give up on you and God’s calling for your life.
Let’s move forward together.
Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions
What are Calvin’s plans for the fall right now?
We intend to return to in-person education, and this is what we are planning for. Looking back teaches us that a lot can change in a couple months. We can’t control the spread of COVID-19 in Michigan, and we can’t control what guidelines will be mandated by government officials, but we can plan so thoroughly and effectively that we are equipped for any circumstance. We are actively reassuring our county health department and our state governor that we are highly prepared to re-open and that we have the ability to adapt to keep our faculty, staff, and students safe.
What are some unique capabilities that Calvin has to provide confidence for a safe return to campus?
Partnership with Helix. Calvin has signed a partnership agreement with Helix Diagnostics to conduct initial screening tests for faculty, staff, and students when they come back to campus. This will allow Calvin to quickly identify those that may need to be quarantined or isolated for their own safety and the safety of others.
Health Services. Calvin’s health services department, led by Dr. Laura Champion, has been ranked among the top 20 higher education health services in the nation by the Princeton Review for the last eight years. This is not just a statistic. The way that Dr. Champion and her team have served the Calvin community, both on-campus and off-campus, has attracted the attention of local and state health authorities. Protocols and processes that have been implemented through our learning over the last three months have greatly informed how we plan for the fall.
Adaptability. Being an institution of our size, where we can and do know students by name, gives us the opportunity to be nimble enough to adapt to new circumstances. Calvin’s leadership has been actively planning for multiple scenarios to allow us to move quickly as circumstances change.
What more can be said about Calvin’s health services to ensure the safety of those in the campus community?
We are confident that our health services team is capable of effectively caring for and managing the potential volume of infected members of the Calvin community.
Dr. Champion has built trust and strong communication lines with the healthcare community in Grand Rapids and the surrounding area, including local hospitals.
Because of the leadership of Dr. Champion and her team, in collaboration with our local health department, Calvin is further along than most schools in planning and piloting comprehensive mitigation strategies which include selective and widespread onsite testing/screening, contact tracing, and early isolation/quarantine of ill and exposed individuals both on campus and in the Calvin community.
Having students in residence halls for the past 13 weeks has provided valuable insight and experience informing feasible strategic plans as that number returns to normal capacity in the coming months.
By piloting so many protocols and monitoring processes among our health center staff, food services, and cleaning crews, Calvin is well past the theory stages of planning, and many best practice systems and protocols are already established. Calvin first began thinking about COVID-19 on January 23 and activated our emergency response task force on February 4.
We’ll keep you updated about ongoing developments for the 2020–21 academic year.