In an effort to assist aspiring musicians within the Calvin student community, this program is designed to help develop emerging student musicians and bands by providing them with mentoring, rehearsal space and avenues for collaboration, opportunities for live performance and assistance toward making a studio recording.
This program is designed for artists who demonstrate commitment to music making, and may even aspire to a career in popular music. Space in the program is limited, and interested students will be required to submit an application. This program is open to bands as well as solo artists. Solo artists may not need rehearsal space, but will benefit from the community support and feedback.
- Secure rehearsal space in the Surge building on the East side campus, with lockable instrument storage and a full drum kit.
- Monthly sessions with other members of the guild to perform and share feedback on pieces in development (attendance required).
- Mentoring by David Fuentes (Music Department faculty) and Ken Heffner (Director of Student Activities) to define and meet goals and outline steps to refine and develop your music making.
- Opportunities to play live, including the Calvin Cave Cafe series, Student Activities Office events, special events, Calvin’s Got Talent, etc.
- The opportunity, when ready, to record a demo in DeVos Communications Building recording studio with a professional sound engineer (whom you hire for a reasonable fee).