Founded in 2007, the Honors community flourishes as a vibrant place for learning, friendships and fun. Selection for the floor is competitive and it is highly recommended that students apply to the floor during the early months of the year they intend to start at Calvin. Students applying to live on this floor should normally meet honors eligibility standards: a Calvin GPA of at least 3.3 and involvement in at least one honors course or contract per year.
This floor is rooted in the mission of Calvin residence life in that it is a place where we offer students the opportunity for intellectual, spiritual, emotional and relational growth.
- To foster genuine community, where Christ’s love and compassion is shown toward one another in all aspects of life, whether in the classroom or in everyday living on the floor.
- To foster values of community as they support the overall health and learning of the community members.
- To provide opportunities for residents to develop connection with faculty mentors and honors program faculty and staff.
- To create a space where can find encouragement and growth in as they develop inter-dependence as learners and citizens.
- All students living on the floor initially meet the admission requirements for the honors program, and are accepted into the honors program.
How to become an honors student:
Students accepted into the program will typically have an ACT composite score of 29 or higher (SAT 1290) or Canadian cumulative marks of 91% or higher.
If you're interested in the Calvin Honors Program, you should indicate this on Calvin's application for admission. Even if you don't meet these criteria, you are encouraged to apply based on your solid academic record and strong self-motivation. To learn more please visit the honors program page.
- All students hoping to live on the Honors Floor must complete the appropriate application. This application can be found here.
- Priority placement will be given to students who apply before the May 1 deadline. Because of the interest in this floor we recommend you apply well before the deadline. The application process will remain open, after May 1, until all spots are filled. A waitlist is created once the floor is filled and open spots are offered to individuals on the wait list in a first come, first served order.
- Participate in weekly floor meetings on Sunday nights from 6-7 p.m.
- Participate in the fall weekend retreat (date TBD by the floor leadership).
- Spending between 2-3 hours each week, outside of the course requirement, in floor related/sponsored activities (e.g. discussions, on/off campus events, floor meetings, service-learning, group reflection, eating communal meals).
- Maintain eligibility in the Honors program through maintenance of a Calvin GPA of at least 3.3 and involvement in at least one honors course or contract per year.