Founded in 2007, the Honors community flourishes as a vibrant place for learning, friendships and fun. Selection for the floor is competitive and it is highly recommended that students apply to the floor during the early months of the year they intend to start at Calvin. Students applying to live on this floor should be an active participant in the Honors Scholars program.
This floor is rooted in the mission of Calvin residence life in that it is a place where we offer students the opportunity for intellectual, spiritual, emotional and relational growth.
- To foster genuine community, where Christ’s love and compassion is shown toward one another in all aspects of life, whether in the classroom or in everyday living on the floor.
- To foster values of community as they support the overall health and learning of the community members.
- To provide opportunities for residents to develop connection with faculty mentors and honors program faculty and staff.
- To create a space where students can find encouragement and growth in as they develop inter-dependence as learners and citizens.
- Students should first apply to the Honors Scholars program.
- Students should then apply separately to live on the Honors floor.
Note: Priority placement will be given to students who have been selected to participate in the Honors Scholars program and who apply before May 1st. Because of high interest in this floor, we recommend applying before this deadline. The application will remain open after May 1st until all spots are filled. A waitlist is created once the floor is filled.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions about the placement process.
- Participate in weekly floor meetings on Sunday nights from 6-7 p.m.
- Participate in the fall weekend retreat (date TBD by the floor leadership).
- Spending between 2-3 hours each week, outside of the course requirement, in floor related/sponsored activities (e.g. discussions, on/off campus events, floor meetings, service-learning, group reflection, eating communal meals).
- Maintain participation and eligibility in the Honors Scholars program.