Please note: Applications and Recommendation form are due February 23, 2018
The Entrada Scholars Program at Calvin College is a summer academic achievement program for racial ethnic minority high school students who are completing their junior and senior years. During this 4-week program, students experience college-level academics and college life in a supportive yet challenging environment. Participants live in a college residence hall, take a regular summer-term class with current Calvin students, earn college credit, attend afternoon study skill sessions, and spend their evenings studying, making new friends, and attending hall events.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT POSITION
The Resident Assistant lives in the residence hall and is responsible for providing supervision to Entrada participants. The Resident Assistant strives to foster a Christian community that is conducive to and assists in the academic, social and spiritual development of Entrada students. This is done by: developing relationships with Entrada students; striving to be a role model and mentor; supporting the academic work of Entrada students; assisting in the development and implementation of activities intended for spiritual growth, identity formation and community life; and enforcing college rules and regulations.
Resident Assistants must be on campus by June 29, 2018 for orientation and training. Throughout the entire program, July 6–August 2, 2018, Resident Assistants are on duty at all times including weekends and the Fourth of July holiday. Resident Assistants are done with their commitment on Friday, August 3, 2018 at 5 p.m.
Resident Assistants are involved in community life evening and weekend programming. Residents Assistants work together with the Resident Directors for Student Development to plan and implement spiritual and personal development programming as well as weekend activities. Each Resident Assistant is expected to attend all community life programming and encourage active student participation. Please note that if you are selected as RA, you will not be allowed to have visitors.
Resident Assistants work with the Assistant Director for Academic Development to help participants develop effective approaches to studying, time management and general study behaviors.
A Resident Assistant serves as a resource to participants, advising students on concerns that arise during the course of the program and consulting with the Resident Directors to evaluate students’ needs.
Note: Orientation/ Training for Entrada RAs will begin during June 29, 2018.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT QUALIFICATIONS
- Appreciation and knowledge of the Pre-College Programs office and Calvin College
- Commitment to Christ: actively seeking to develop your faith
- Willingness to learn and receive direction
- Be in good academic and conduct standing with the college at the time of application and the end of the 2018 spring semester (minimum of a 3.0 GPA)
- Commitment to develop your cultural competency
- Driver’s license (please note that you will be required to drive a 12 passenger van)
- Applicants currently in their sophomore, junior, or senior year at Calvin
- Prior experience working in a team setting and/or leadership position
- Prior experience living in a residence hall
Entrada Resident Assistants will receive a financial stipend of $1,850 and receive free room and board for the duration of the Entrada Scholars Program.
APPLICATION / SELECTION PROCESS
Applications and Recommendation form are due February 23, 2018
Interviews will be held the weeks of March 26 and April 2, 2018
Week of March 26
- Entrada Scholars Program Staff will meet to discuss your application, interview, and qualifications, and will review other input about you being a resident assistant.
- The first round of candidates who have been selected will be notified by the selection committee the week of April 19, 2018. We then will have final decisions made informing you if you have or have not been selected by the end of that week.
Please note: Applications and Recommendation form are due February 23, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding the Resident Assistant position or the Entrada Scholars Program, please contact Nygil Likely at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 526-6749.