Camps for the academically-gifted child (Academic Camps for Excellence)
Calvin College offers summer camp opportunities for children and teens who enjoy academic challenges. Taught by talented and experienced Calvin professors and high school teachers who are experienced in their fields, the "ACE Camps" will get students excited about science in a whole new way. Students are challenged to learn about various concepts within fields of science, such as studying concepts of sound or forces through physics or the phenomena of light and fluorescence. These camps are designed for academically-gifted students, challenging them to push their understanding within these scientific fields through fast-paced, hands-on activities both inside and outside of the laboratories. For students that have a true passion for exploration and look for academic challenges, the "ACE Camps" are sure to offer high level challenges and a great deal of fun.
For specific camp info (date, cost, registration, etc.), please click into the individual camps pages below.
- Calvin Chem Camp features Interested in natural phemomena? Always curious about the natural world around you and how things work? Our science camps are for you! Select from one of three science camps and prepare for exciting, hands-on learning.
- has taken a Midwest Academic Talent Search test (ACT, SAT or EXPLORE)
- scored in the 95th percentile or above on a standardized achievement test such as CTBS, Stanford, Iowa, etc.
- scored Level 1 (Advanced) on the MEAP test
- Registration and confirmation
- Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with notifications of acceptance sent by email. Applications received after June 1 will be honored only if space is available.
- Cancellation policy
- Prior to June 1, 90% of the camp fee will be refunded upon receipt of a written request for cancellation. After June 1, refund requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis. The college may cancel or postpone any session because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a session is cancelled or postponed, the college will refund 100 percent of registration fees.
- All instruction, supervision, materials, supplies and a T-shirt are covered by the fee. Snacks and lunches are not provided.
- Financial aid
- Information and applications for partial financial aid are available upon request. Those who qualify for federal free or reduced lunch programs are given first priority, but other requests are considered based on availability of funds.
- Activities and demonstrations in these programs are designed to be safe and students are taught standard laboratory safety techniques. However, the college does not provide insurance for its camps and its liability must be based on fault. Health and insurance information will be required from all participants.
Enrollment details (applies to all ACE camps)
To be eligible for an ACE camp, a child needs to meet one of the following requirements:
If none of the above, please call 616-526-8801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with information on student