Transfers & Adult Learners
Transfer Orientation is for students transferring to Calvin from another college or university. It takes place just before classes begin. There are also optional activities offered to help you connect with Calvin.
Dates & schedule
More information— Transfers
A $170 orientation fee will be charged to your student account a few weeks following orientation. This fee covers all costs associated with Transfer Orientation.
- What to expect
At Transfer Orientation, you’ll meet a lot of new people: over 800 other new students plus current students, professors, and staff members. You’ll learn about Calvin and the resources that are here for you.
During Transfer Orientation, you’ll connect with an orientation group of about 20 other students who will go through Transfer Orientation with you.
Transfer Orientation includes a service-learning component (Streetfest) where you’ll learn about one of the eclectic neighborhoods in Grand Rapids. The days are full, beginning at approximately 9 a.m. and going into the evening, but you’ll be ready for classes to begin on Monday, August 30.
- Before you arrive
Steps to complete before you arrive
- Register for the program on your applicant status page.
- Pay your enrollment deposit, if you haven’t already.
- Print out driving directions and a campus map from our Information and Resources page.
Fall transfer students may move onto campus on Thursday, August 26.
Upon arrival, follow the signs to your residence hall. This is where you will check in. You will be greeted by "We-Haulers"—students eager to transport your belongings from your vehicle into your residence hall room.
Plan to be at Calvin by 12:30 p.m. for a kick-off meeting where you will receive your schedule and instructions.
- Meals and Accommodations
Meals for new transfer students, both on- and off-campus, are provided during Transfer Orientation—beginning with lunch on Thursday, August 26 and continuing through dinner on Sunday, August 29.
If you will be living on campus during the school year, you will move into your residence hall when you arrive.
Housing will not be available for off-campus students or family members. The Prince Conference Center, located on campus, is owned and operated by Calvin University and has a limited number of rooms available for a fee. If you call to reserve a room, mention that you are with the Transfer Orientation program for a slight discount. There are also several off-campus options nearby.
More information—Spring Transfers
The fee for TRANSITIONS is $170. Up to two adult family members may attend the parent programming track for free. This will be charged to your student account. All meals during TRANSITIONS are provided.
- What to expect
Calvin's orientation programs have three objectives:
- To introduce you to Calvin's purpose, people, and programs
- To help ensure your smooth transition to university
- To prepare you academically for your years at Calvin
You will be covering following information:
- Reformed, Liberal Arts University—what it means that Calvin is Reformed and Liberal Arts.
- Agents of Renewal—what it means that God is renewing all things.
- Doing God’s Work in God’s World—what God is calling us to as we learn and as we serve.
Take care of practical details:
- Meet with an advisor and confirm your classes
- Get your student ID
- Register your vehicle
- ...and more
- Before you arrive
Steps to complete before you arrive:
- Students are automatically registered for Orientation by depositing. Family members can register via email to email@example.com.
- Pay your enrollment deposit, if you haven't already done so.
- Look for a confirmation email in your Calvin email account from the Campus Involvement and Leadership Office.
- Print out driving directions and a campus map.
Upon arrival, follow the road signs to the Covenant Fine Arts Center parking lot. Make your way to the Commons Annex Building to check in, receive your personalized schedule, and a resource packet.
Planning to to move in from 2-4:30pm. Stop by the Campus Involvement and Leadership office as part of the housing check-in process.