If you’re starting Calvin in the fall as a first-year student, QUEST is for you. QUEST is a three-and-a-half day program that takes place from Thursday, August 29–Sunday, September 1, 2019, just before school begins. There will also be planned, optional activities on Monday, September 2.
Your family members are welcome during move-in day and for an evening cookout on Commons Lawn. Following dinner, QUEST starts and is designed just for you.
If you are a new Transfer student, click here to learn about Transfer QUEST.
- What to Expect
Expect a warm welcome to Calvin! At QUEST, you’ll meet a lot of new people: more than 1,000 other new students and potential Facebook friends, plus current students, professors, and staff members. You’ll learn a lot about Calvin and the resources that are here for you.
During QUEST, you’ll connect with an orientation group of about 22 other students who will go through QUEST with you. If you’re a first-year student, this group will also be your fall "First Year Seminar" class, which is a one-credit class you’ll take during your first semester.
QUEST includes a service-learning component, StreetFest, where you’ll visit and learn about one of the eclectic neighborhoods in Grand Rapids. Expect to have a lot of fun! By the end, you may be a bit tired (the days are full from about 9 a.m. and into the evening), but you’ll be ready for classes to begin on Tuesday, September 3.
You can plan to:
- An evening of personal reflection on the Seminary Pond.
- A "create your own adventure" night.
- StreetFest—a service-learning experience in the city.
- Challenging, real-life college issues through a series of skits.
- Calvin’s commitment to diversity and anti-racism.
- A variety of other things—from pop culture to what it means that Calvin is "Reformed" to men’s/women’s issues at college to why we care about social justice.
QUEST has three objectives:
- To introduce you to Calvin through the institution’s vision,
- To connect you to a core group of other new students,
- To prepare you for your first semester at Calvin.
During QUEST, we’ll look at some of these aspects of Calvin’s vision:
- Reformed, Liberal Arts College—Take a closer look at what it means that Calvin is "Reformed" and “a liberal arts college.”
- Agents of Renewal—Consider the implications of what it means that God is renewing all things.
- Doing God’s Work in God’s World—Our world belongs to God. What is God calling us to as we learn and as we serve?
- Before you arrive
Steps to complete before you arrive
- If you are a first-year student, you are already enrolled.
- Pay your enrollment deposit, if you haven’t already.
- Be sure you have received a confirmation email from the Campus Involvement and Leadership Office.
- Plan to arrive on campus anytime after 9 a.m. on Thursday, August 29.
- Print out driving directions and a campus map (see our Information & Resources page).
You may move to campus after 9 a.m. on Thursday, August 29. QUEST officially begins with an all-campus cookout at 5 p.m. with opening activities starting at 6:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, follow the road signs to your residence hall where you can check in after 9 a.m. You will be greeted by an army of "We-Haulers"—students who are eager to transport all of your belongings from your vehicle into your residence hall room! You will have the entire day to get settled into your room. Your orientation leader (OL) will post a note on your door telling you your orientation group number. Following dinner, you will assemble with your orientation group for check-in.
You are welcome to have lunch and dinner on-campus on August 30. You will receive a phone call to your off-campus residence from your orientation leader (OL) telling you your orientation group number. You will meet you orientation group following dinner. We do not offer on-campus sleeping accommodations during QUEST, but all the meals during QUEST are included for you. Off-campus commuting students will arrive on campus at 2:45 p.m. for the CONNECT Meet your Major event and will check in with their OLs at 4 p.m. following the event.
All meals for new first-year students are included during QUEST, beginning with lunch on Thursday, August 29 and continuing through dinner on Monday, September 2.
- Dates & Schedule
QUEST runs from Thursday, August 29–Sunday, September 1, 2019.
You may move to campus on after 9 a.m. on Thursday, August 29. Click here to learn about the move-in process. QUEST officially begins with an all-campus cookout at 5:45 p.m. and opening activities at 6:30 p.m. QUEST concludes on the evening of Sunday, September 1. There will also be optional activities on Monday, September 2.
Parents—See our Parents & Family QUEST page for information.
- Registration & Costs
You will be automatically registered for QUEST after registering for PASSPORT through your Applicant Status page.
A $250 orientation fee will be charged to your student account in early September. This fee covers costs associated with both PASSPORT and QUEST, with the majority of the fee covering meals.