If you’re starting Calvin in the fall as a first-year student, Welcome Week, or QUEST, will help with the transition to classes. QUEST begins Friday, August 28 and runs through Monday, August 31, 2020. Move in day is August 27th for students planning on living in the dorms.
Your family members are welcome during move-in day and for a cookout on Commons Lawn in the evening of August 27th.
If you are a new Transfer student, click here to learn about Transfer and Adult Student Orientation.
- What to Expect
Expect a warm welcome to Calvin! At QUEST, you’ll meet a lot of new people: more than 800 other new students and potential life-long friends, plus current students, professors, and staff members. You’ll learn a lot about Calvin and the resources that are here for you.
During QUEST, you’ll connect with an orientation group of about 20 other students who will go through QUEST with you. This group will also be your fall "First Year Seminar" class, which is a one-credit class you’ll take during your first semester.
QUEST includes a service-learning component, StreetFest, where you’ll visit and learn about one of the eclectic neighborhoods in Grand Rapids. Expect to have a lot of fun! You’ll be prepared for classes to begin on Tuesday, September 1.
You can plan to:
- An evening of personal reflection on the Seminary Pond.
- A "create your own adventure" night.
- StreetFest—a service-learning experience in the city.
- A worship service.
- Challenging, real-life college issues through a series of skits.
- Calvin’s commitment to diversity and anti-racism.
- A variety of other things—from pop culture to what it means that Calvin is "Reformed" to men’s/women’s issues at college to why we care about social justice.
QUEST has three objectives:
- To introduce you to Calvin through the institution’s mission,
- To connect you to a core group of other new students,
- To prepare you for your first semester at Calvin.
- Before you arrive
Steps to complete before you arrive
- Pay your enrollment deposit here, if you haven’t already.
- Be sure you have received a confirmation email from the Campus Involvement and Leadership Office.
- Plan to arrive on campus in the morning or afternoon on Thursday, August 27, look for mailings from the Housing Office for specifics
- Print out driving directions and a campus map (see our Information & Resources page).
Upon arrival, follow the road signs to your residence hall where you can check in. You will be greeted by current students who are eager to transport all of your belongings from your vehicle into your residence hall room (if you want)! As a part of move-in day, you will need to be COVID-19 screened and tested. Your orientation leader (OL) will post a note on your door telling you your orientation group number.
You are welcome to have lunch and dinner on-campus on August 28. You will receive a phone call to your off-campus residence from your OL telling you your orientation group number. You will meet you orientation group following dinner. We do not offer on-campus sleeping accommodations during QUEST, but all the meals during QUEST are included for you. Off-campus commuting students will arrive on campus by 1 p.m. for orientation events.
All meals for new first-year students are included during QUEST, beginning with dinner on Thursday, August 27 and continuing through dinner on Monday, August 31.