If you’re starting Calvin in the fall as a first-year student, Welcome Week will help with the transition to classes. Welcome Week begins August 26–28, 2022. Move in day is August 25 for students planning on living in the dorms.
Please note IMPACT, International and Wilderness Orientations have different move-in days.
If you are a new Transfer student, click here to learn about transfer and Adult Student Orientation.
- What to Expect
Expect a warm welcome to Calvin! At Welcome Week, you’ll meet a lot of new people: more than 800 other new students and potential lifelong friends, plus current students, professors, and staff members. You’ll learn a lot about Calvin and the resources that are here for you.
During Welcome Week, you’ll connect with an orientation group of about 20 other students who will go through Welcome Week with you. This group will also make up one of your first-year introductory classes, which is a three-credit class you’ll take during your first semester.
Welcome Week includes a service-learning component, StreetFest, where you’ll visit and learn about one of the eclectic neighborhoods in Grand Rapids. Expect to have a lot of fun! You’ll be prepared for classes to begin on Monday, August 30.
You can plan to:
- An evening of personal reflection on the Seminary Pond.
- A "create your own adventure" night.
- StreetFest—a service-learning experience in the city.
- A worship service.
- Challenging, real-life college issues through a series of skits.
- Calvin’s commitment to diversity and anti-racism.
- A variety of other things—from pop culture to what it means that Calvin is "Reformed" to men’s/women’s issues at college to why we care about social justice.
Welcome Week has three objectives:
- To introduce you to Calvin through the institution’s mission,
- To connect you to a core group of other new students,
- To prepare you for your first semester at Calvin.
- Before you arrive
Steps to complete before you arrive
- Pay your enrollment deposit, if you haven’t already.
- Be sure you have received a confirmation email from the Campus Involvement and Leadership Office.
- Plan to arrive on campus on the afternoon on Aug 25. Look for mailings from the Housing Office for specifics.
- Print out driving directions and a campus map.
Upon arrival, follow the road signs to your residence hall, where you can check in. You will be greeted by current students who are eager to transport all of your belongings from your vehicle into your residence hall room! Your orientation leader (OL) will post a note on your door telling you your orientation group number.
You are welcome to have lunch and dinner on campus on August 26. You will receive a phone call to your off-campus residence from your OL telling you your orientation group number. You will meet you orientation group following dinner. We do not offer on-campus sleeping accommodations during Welcome Week, but all the meals during Welcome Week are included for you. Off-campus commuting students will arrive on campus by 12 p.m. for orientation events.
All meals for new first-year students are included during Welcome Week, beginning with dinner on Thursday, August 25 and continuing through dinner on Sunday, August 28.