Fall Welcome | IMPACT
IMPACT is a new student orientation program for students who identify as Asian, Black, Latin, Middle Eastern, multi-racial, Native American, Pacific Islander, or simply as a student of color.
IMPACT is designed to help students explore, learn, and immerse themselves in the Calvin community. With the guidance of your first-year peers and Calvin staff, you will build a support system and help Calvin make an impact in the world. We invite you to bring your interests, personality, and passion with you—to learn, to laugh, and to meet your classmates through a multitude of activities. You will begin your Calvin journey with a greater sense of connectivity, support, and campus awareness.
Qualifying students will be automatically registered for IMPACT; more information will be sent in May.
If you have any questions regarding your fit for IMPACT, please contact Esther Kwak.
- A $70 fee will be charged to your student account for IMPACT in addition to the $250 orientation fee. The fees cover the cost of food, transportation, and programming provided throughout the time students are involved in the IMPACT and orientation experiences.
- Adult family members may attend the one-day program designed for families at no further cost.
- We don't provide housing for family members, but please read the FAQ below for more information about on-campus lodging available.
- August 22–24: IMPACT programming
- August 22: Registration and Move-in for your dorm (for students living on campus)
- August 24–27: All incoming students participate in Welcome Week
Why you should attend
There are many benefits that come with participation in the IMPACT program. You can...
- Connect to a diverse group of fellow students.
- Learn the rich and inspiring history of IMPACT alumni at Calvin.
- Develop, explore, and appreciate your own God-given cultural identity.
- Glean wisdom from former and current successful students, faculty, and staff.
- Fulfill your requirements for the Mosaic Award.
- Expect a warm, challenging, and one-of-a-kind welcome to your new school, Calvin!
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the schedule be for IMPACT programming?
We will post schedules to here soon!
- Student Schedule (pending)
- Family Schedule (pending)
We will provide a final schedule when you arrive. If you need more information as you make your plans, email Esther Kwak.
When do I find out who my roommate is?
If you submitted your housing form before May 1, you will find out your roommate assignment in late June.
If you applied after May 1, you will receive notice during the summer.
For questions, please contact the Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 526-6120.
Can my family attend? Where will they stay?
Yes, your family is warmly welcomed to accompany you! Parents/guardians follow their own schedule, which includes special workshops and presentations designed just for them. None of the parent programs are mandatory; many parents come and go as their schedule allows. There are no specific events designed for siblings.
Parents are invited to stay in the Prince Conference Center; however we do not arrange accommodations for them. There is a special lodging rate for parents; please contact the Prince Conference Center and let them know you are coming for International Crossroads as a family member of an incoming student.
There are other lodging options available near campus with limited public transportation options, too. See our information about Grand Rapids to assist you as you make travel and lodging plans.
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
- Phone: 616-526-7121
- CA 113
Calvin University is committed to being proactive and intentional in reaching underrepresented groups on campus. The goal is to increase a sense of belonging and campus involvement. IMPACT is one of many initiatives aiming to address these issues. Ask us about others!