Calvin is committed to working with students to make studying off-campus a possibility. We work to make the cost of a semester abroad comparative to that of a semester at home, plus roundtrip airfare, and facilitate scholarship opportunities for both semester and interim programs.
The price of each semester program is based on the total costs of the semester divided by the total number of students who participate. Therefore, the exact price of any program cannot be fully calculated until the size of the group has been finalized (after registration in early/mid November for spring semester programs, late April/early May for fall semester programs). As soon as the final price of each program is established, the Off-Campus Programs Office will notify students in each program.
- If the cost of the semester is less than the tuition, room and board cost of the same semester at Calvin, the student will pay the cost of Calvin's tuition, room and board.
- If the cost of an off-campus semester is greater than the cost of tuition, room and board for the same semester at Calvin, the student will pay the actual cost of the program.
Higher priced programs:
(Typically $2,000-$6,000 more than Calvin tuition, room and board with a 21-meal plan)
- Spain: Advanced (Spring semester includes Interim)
Lower priced programs:
(Typically $100 to $2,500 more than Calvin tuition, room and board with a 21-meal plan)
- Honduras: Development
- Honduras: Spanish
- Washington D.C.
Fees are listed in the course description, talk to your program director for details.
The cost for Calvin-partnered and Calvin-supported off-campus semester programs are variable depending on the price set by the partnering organization. This price is available at most program websites (administered by the partnering organization). Note the following regarding the price of non-Calvin programs for Calvin students:
- Students are expected to pay at least the amount of Calvin tuition, Calvin will then pay the partnering organization the price of the program
- If the price of the program is more than Calvin tuition, the student will pay the actual cost of the program plus the appropriate administrative fees at Calvin
- Additional costs beyond tuition may or may not be included in the cost of non-Calvin programs. Students are encouraged to understand all costs of the programs they are pursuing. These costs are the responsibility of the student whether self-incurred or assessed by the operator of the program. These costs could include: room and board, immunizations, excursions and travel insurance
- Transportation to and from the program site are the financial responsibility of the student.
Calvin recognizes the wide variety of quality programs that are offered by other organizations throughout the world that might fit better with a student’s interests and major/minor. While Calvin cannot support an unlimited number of students studying in these programs, it has created a process by which students can apply for and receive a “slot” that allows them to take 50% of their Calvin financial aid along with 100% of financial aid funded by sources outside Calvin to help finance their participation in these programs.
Although the number of slots may vary from year to year, typically there are between 10 to 20 slots offered each year. An application for one of these slots is part of the online application you will complete for Calvin. (Instructions can be found here.) Applications for a slot for either fall or spring of the following academic year will start to be reviewed April 1 and will continue until all slots are filled or until June 1, the final deadline for slots for the following academic year. (Note: this deadline is the same for both fall or spring applications in the upcoming academic year.)