What are direct-enroll courses?
Calvin students who study abroad take two types of classes: classes taught by Calvin professors (STXX) and classes taught at a native university or institution (direct-enroll). Direct-enroll credits are transfer credits that Calvin students earn from other institutions. Calvin students can earn Calvin core, major, minor, cognate, and elective credit from both Calvin-taught and direct-enroll classes.
In order to ensure that these credits transfer properly, any student who will be taking direct-enroll classes must fill out the course selection form below and submit it to the registrar.
Why is "STXX 390- Direct-Enroll" showing up on my AER?
Once you are registered in direct-enroll classes during your semester abroad, you will see STXX 390 on your Academic Evaluation Report (AER). This is used as a placeholder to make sure all your credit hours are accounted for and you maintain your status as a full-time student.
Once your direct-enroll transcript arrives, the STXX 390 course credit hours will be changed to zero and the number of Calvin-equivalent credit hours will be listed. Your grades for these classes are treated like regular transfer credits: the Calvin-equivalent letter grade will be generally recorded on your transcript, but will not be factored into your GPA.
Requesting course approval
Note: If you are only going abroad for interim, or if all your semester abroad classes will be taught by a Calvin professor, then you do not need to submit this form.
- Print out and complete the course selection form. Make sure it has been signed by your advisor.
- If you are requesting credit for core classes:
- See the list below of pre-approved core equivalencies. If your class is already on that list, then credit for those core classes will be automatically applied.
- If your class is not on that list, then attach a course description to your form. The registrar will evaluate the request and determine whether credit can be applied.
- If you are requesting credit for program (major/minor/cognates) classes, seek approval from your major/minor program advisor. Submit their signed approval along with your course approval form.
- Bring all of your materials to the Transfer Advisor, Rachel Cush (email@example.com), in the Center for Student Success.
Delayed class enrollment
Due to the nature of enrollment in some off-campus programs, you may not be able to select courses prior to your arrival. If this is the case, you may request an urgent evaluation by e-mail once you arrive.
- Download and fill out the electronic transfer credit pre-approval form.
- If you are requesting credit for core classes, follow the instructions above.
- If you are requesting credit for program (major/minor/cognates) classes, email your advisor and get their permission in email form. CC or forward the form and approval email to the Transfer Advisor, Rachel Cush (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Pre-approved core equivalencies
Below are core equivalencies that have been pre-approved for students in the past. This list is not comprehensive and is continually growing each semester.
*CCE credit: Each program manages CCE credit differently. Non-Calvin programs will need to arrange CCE credit prior to the semester. *Religion Credit: One religion core must be taken at Calvin. For more information, contact the Transfer Advisor.