Special instructions for visiting student applications. See below for interim instructions.
- First, you'll need to register for an account in our online application system called HORIZONS.
- To create a Horizons account, click on this link: https://calvincollege-horizons.symplicity.com/
- On that webpage, click on the Register (Non-Calvin Students) tab at the top.
- Fill in all fields marked with a red asterisk, then click Save & Continue
- On the next page, under the Academic Profile heading, there should be a Class Standing category with a drop-down menu—choose special as your class standing.
- Choose your citizenship as well, and then click Save & Continue.
- Now you should be on the Account page, where you will set your username and password. Please do so and click on Submit Registration.
- Now, you should be able to apply for the program you're interested in!
- Now that you have created your account, you can log in at the student login using the email address and password you created (please ignore login instructions in the box that are for Calvin students). Then, you can select the program you are interested in participating in.
- The application process includes the following components:
- Academic GPA check: You should have at least a 2.5 GPA to be automatically approved.
- Program Selection
- Student Conduct Record: This portion of the application asks if you have been disciplined by a member of the Student Life Division (a Dean or Resident Director) for an infraction of campus regulations and, if yes, to explain the circumstances.
- Program waiver: The program waiver is an important document that outlines both the risk and responsibilities for both the student and the college. Please read this document carefully and check to acknowledge that you have read and consented to its terms. Click "Review and Save" to move on.
- Essay questions: Please answer these questions completely. The semester director will use your answers to get to know you a bit better as they make decisions related to your participation in the off-campus semester.
- Insurance verification: You will need to provide Calvin with information about your health insurance provider.
- Health form: The purpose of the health form is two-fold. The first reason is to make sure we are aware of any health issues that we may need to accommodate. The second reason is to initiate your contact with Calvin’s health services to make sure we prepare you to manage your physical health while off-campus. If accepted into the program, you will receive additional information related to any immunizations that you will need for the semester. All information reported on this form is confidential and seen only by Calvin Health Services, the Program Director, and (if needed) the Director of OCP.
- Mental health form: The purpose of this form is also two-fold. The first reason is to identify how we can best support you during your time off-campus. The second reason is to assist you in managing your mental health while off-campus. All information reported on this form is confidential and seen only by the Instructor of your program and (if needed) by Broene Counseling Center and the OCP office (note: no student employees will have access to this form).
- Emergency contact information: You will need to provide the names, phone numbers and emails of two emergency contacts.
- Acknowledgment of the student conduct code: The purpose of this form is to remind students that Calvin’s student conduct code applies to those who study in our programs. This form also asks you to commit to some simple behaviors designed to promote your safety while away.
- References: Please identify 2 references, one of whom should have knowledge of your academic record. If they could speak to your GPA and Student Conduct record, that would be extremely helpful. The second reference can be a personal reference of your choice (not family). Fill in the name and email address of these 2 references and click "Save Application" at the bottom. Remember that it is standard practice to ask for permission for a recommendation before you list their name.
- Course Selection Sheet: This is for Calvin students, so you can omit this.
- Submit Application: After completing and saving all parts of the first step of the Application and entering your information for Recommendation Requests, you should see a button in Step 3 to Submit Application. Please click on this when you have completed all the above steps.
If your application is approved, you will get an email to go back and complete your passport information in Horizons. To login to the system again, use the email and password you created under Student Login.
Interim Instructions for Non-Student Visitor Applications
First to create a Horizons account, go to this link: https://calvincollege-horizons.symplicity.com/
- Click on the Register (Non-Calvin Students) Tab
- Personal Information Tab - Fill in Fields with * - First Name, Last Name, Gender. E-mail Address, Address, etc. – then click Save & Continue
- Academic Profile Tab – Class Standing: pick "Special", Pick Citizenship – then Click Save & Continue
- Account Tab – set password, then “Submit Registration”
Now that you have created your account, you can login at the student login using the e-mail address and password you created (please ignore instructions in the box that are for Calvin students).
Then you can select the program you are going with as a visitor. Please follow the visitor instructions shown to complete the application. Read and click to acknowledge you have read the waiver.
- Click on emergency contacts – list 2 contacts with relevant info
- Click on Insurance Verification and provide insurance info
- Complete Health Information
- Mental Health Form – follow Visitor Instructions
- Student Conduct Code – read & acknowledge
- Click on Review and Save. Look over application and click Save Application at the bottom.
When you get to the next page, click on the Submit Application link after Step 3.
When your application is approved, you will get an e-mail to go back and complete your passport information in Horizons.