To participate in a Non-Calvin off-campus semester program, you must have sophomore status and a minimum GPA of 2.5. You must first complete an online application for Calvin and then obtain and submit a program application for the program to which you are applying.
Any potential off-campus study program could fit into this category. Students are encouraged to explore the wide variety of potential programs. The Off-Campus Programs Office can serve as a resource for students as they search.
For students planning to do a non-Calvin program in the following year (fall or spring) the deadline to receive consideration for a slot to take 50% of your Calvin-issued financial aid is April 1. To receive full consideration, slot applications must be submitted by April 1. (The slot application is part of the online Calvin application process). Applications received after April 1 will be reviewed until all slots are filled. Students not applying to take 50% of their financial aid to non-Calvin programs can still complete an application to attend non-Calvin programs but no financial aid will be awarded for non-Calvin programs after June 1 for the following year.
Deadlines vary by program, so be sure to leave yourself enough time to complete the application process for the program you are choosing. Remember that although the Calvin Application is online, it can take several days to complete, as you have to wait for various approvals across campus.
Financial aid deadlines
For non-Calvin programs you will receive 100% of your “outside” (federal and state) aid, but none of your Calvin issued aid will be automatically awarded. If you would like to apply to keep 50% of your Calvin-issued aid, you will need to apply for a “slot” which is part of the online Calvin application process.
Slot applications will be reviewed starting in mid March and the review process will continue until all slots are awarded or until June 1. AFTER JUNE 1, NO ADDITONAL FINANCIAL AID WILL BE AWARDED TO PARTICIPATE IN A NON-CALVIN OFF-CAMPUS SEMESTER PROGRAM.
Complete the Calvin application process
The Calvin application determines your academic and social eligibility for an off-campus program. You will apply for a non-Calvin semester program at the Calvin College Horizons site. Please read the following before you proceed.
How do I get started?
After you click on the Calvin College Horizons link, use your Calvin username and password to log in when prompted. You should scroll down and find "Other Non-Calvin Program" and apply for the term you wish to study. The software will guide you through the application process.
What should I be aware of in completing the application process?
The application process includes the following components:
- Demographic information: (this will fill in automatically) Name, email, phone, major, year in school, etc.
- Academic GPA check: (this will fill in automatically) For semester programs, you will need to have at least a 2.5 GPA to be automatically approved to study off-campus. If your GPA is below 2.5, you will be asked if you want to appeal directly to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Student Life Approval: This portion of the application asks if you have been disciplined by a member of the Student Life Division (a Dean or Resident Director) for an infraction of campus regulations and if yes to explain the circumstances). If a student is not approved by student life, you can appeal directly to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Program waiver: The program waiver is an important document that outlines both the risk and responsibilities for both the student and the college. Please read this document carefully.
Complete the program application
- Once the Calvin part of the application is approved, you will need to obtain an application from your desired program of study and return it to the program directly.
- Once you are accepted to a program, make sure you communicate with Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs office concerning your status for off-campus study. Communicate with the off-campus programs office and with the program so that the program can bill Calvin directly. Calvin will then bill you, and your financial aid will apply directly to the cost of the program.
- Calvin will bill students at least the cost of Calvin tuition, with an additional administrative fee between $250 and $500, depending on the program.