To participate in a Calvin partner off-campus semester program, you must have sophomore status and a minimum GPA of 2.5. You must first complete an online application for Calvin and then obtain and submit a program application for the program to which you are applying.
Calvin partner programs include the Chicago Semester, Central College’s Vienna Program (for German major/minors only), the Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU – for Japanese major/minors only), and the Semester in Oman (Northwestern College in Iowa.)
Deadlines vary by program, so be sure to leave yourself enough time to complete the application process for the program you are choosing. Remember that although the Calvin Application is online, it can take several days to complete, as you have to wait for various approvals across campus.
Complete the Calvin Application Process
The Calvin Application determines your academic and social eligibility for an off-campus program. You will apply for a Calvin Partner semester program at the Calvin University Horizons site. Please read the following before you proceed.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
After you click on the Calvin University Horizons link, use your Calvin username and password to log in when prompted. You should scroll down and find the partner program to which you are applying. The software will guide you through the application process.
WHAT SHOULD I BE AWARE OF IN COMPLETING THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
The application process includes the following components:
- Demographic Information(this will fill in automatically): Name, email, phone, major, year in school, etc.
- Academic GPA check: (this will fill in automatically) For semester programs you will need to have at least a 2.5 GPA to be automatically approved to study off-campus. If your GPA is below 2.5 you will be asked if you want to appeal directly to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Student Life Approval: This portion of the application asks if you have been disciplined by a member of the Student Life Division (a Dean or Resident Director) for an infraction of campus regulations and if yes to explain the circumstances). If a student is not approved by student life, you can appeal directly to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Program waiver: The program waiver is an important document that outlines both the risk and responsibilities for both the student and the college. Please read this document carefully.
Complete the Program Application
- Once the Calvin Partner application is approved you will need to obtain an application from your desired program of study and return it to the program directly (with the exception of the Chicago semester, bring your completed Chicago Semester application directly to Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs Office).
- Once you are accepted to a program, make sure you communicate with Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs office concerning your status for off-campus study.
- Calvin partnered programs bill Calvin directly, and Calvin bills the students, with all financial aid applying to the cost of the program.
- Calvin will bill students at least the cost of Calvin tuition, with an additional administrative fee between $250 and $500, depending on the program.