Office & Virtual Visits
Online or in person, we'll see you safely
With a combination of Virtual Visits and in-person office exams, Health Services is ready to serve all the needs of Calvin students. We’re always here for you and your health.
It is more important than ever to pay attention to your health. We give you choices:
*With your safety in mind, we have developed procedures to protect you during your visit. We are controlling the number of patients inside at any given time, and we are using our expertise to keep you safe.*
With new safety procedures in place, our outpatient office is open and ready to see you. Please contact your provider with specific appointment requests and questions.
Connect with us virtually to address any concerns you may have--all from the comfort of your living room.
24/7 Access to COVID Testing:
All students are already established in the patient portal. Log in to your Patient Portal to request a COVID-19 test. The same form can he used to handle any medical needs related to covid-like illness. Onsite COVID test with expedient results is available 7 days a week.
A message to the nurse via email@example.com is another option and a confidential message can be sent to the medical team 24/7 which will be responded to daily. During normal business hours, our full staff is available to handle phone calls regarding routine health issues such as allergies, asthma, injuries, rash, frequent headaches and more.
With your safety in mind, we have developed procedures to protect you during your visit. We are controlling the number of patients inside at any given time, and we are using our expertise to keep you safe.
Here's what you can expect for your appointment:
- Request a COVID-19 test using your Patient Portal or email the medical staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for needs outside of normal business hours
- You may be sent an order for COVID-19 with instructions for testing or you may be scheduled with one of our providers to determine if testing is needed.
- For non-COVID-19 needs, you may reach us by messaging us through the Patient Portal, by emailing the medical staff at email@example.com or, calling our office during normal business hours.
- If you have an in-person appointment, you must wear a face mask to comply with statewide requirements.
- Our office will have unique accommodations for the check-in, registration and rooming process. You’ll receive those instructions from your appointment reminder or our scheduling team.
- To protect our patients, employees, and community safe, our staff will wear Personal Protective Equipment.
Please note we still have restrictions for visitors, and sick patients will have to wait outside to be escorted into the building by one of our medical staff. Well visits may enter at the time of your appointment. Walk-ins are not currently available. Plan to enter the building alone, unless otherwise instructed by our medical staff.
Cleaning, Reorganization, and Check-In Options:
- Common Areas: Areas such as the waiting room, front desk area and restrooms are cleaned often, with special attention to frequently touched surfaces, including doorknobs, armrests and handrails.
- Floor Markings and Furniture Rearrangement: We have made special arrangements to support social distancing. You may see markers on the floors to show where people should stand for check-in and check-out. We have rearranged furniture in our waiting room to create more space between patients and we are asking patients to check themselves in, electronically, using the Patient Portal.. We are only allowing well patients to enter on their own after ringing the buzzer from the parking lot entrance. This step ensures that fewer people are in our clinic at any given time and sick persons are not entering our waiting area without an escort from one of our clinical staff.
- E-Check-In: We are offering E-check-in to further limit your exposure to others, and we are asking patients to wait outside or in their vehicle for their appointment to begin, unless they have been given specific permission to enter for a well visit at the time of their appointment. You must register your Patient Portal account to use E-check-in procedures.
What if I get sick this fall?
Health Services has an automated COVID Test Request form which can be completed 24/7 using your patient portal at https://calvin.medicatconnect.com/. Testing is available onsite or via the drive-to lab site Monday through Saturday. Turn around time for rt-PCR COVID-19 testing has been 24-48 hours when ordered through Health Services. A virtual visit may be necessary.
We are asking students that develop symptoms listed on the daily screening to have a COVID-19 test. Many individuals will have mild symptoms but are still considered contagious until COVID has been ruled out Research shows that a negative covid test on day one of symptoms may be false negative in college aged students.. So serial testing is advised if indicated. We accept all insurances. There is no out-of-pocket cost to students or care received in Health Services when COVID is suspected or diagnosed. COVID-19 tests have no cost sharing (no out-of-pocket expense) when ordered by Health Services.
What if Health Services is closed?
Should you develop mild symptoms of COVID-19 when the Health Services is closed, we ask that you remain confined to your room until you can be tested. Complete the COVID Test request form and expect instructions in your email or Microsoft Teams account early in the morning on the next business day. Testing occurs Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
If you require COVID-19 testing on the weekend, if you need an interpreter, or if you are having any of the following symptoms during our closed hours:
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
- Fever over 100.4°F after Tylenol
- Severe persistent headache
Please call the in-call nurse at 616-391-2380 and mention that you are a Calvin student and Dr. Champion is your primary care provider.