Students who receive regular allergy injections can continue to receive those injections while at Calvin. Before coming to Health Services, please be sure you have your allergy serum & injection schedule from your allergist. It is the student’s responsibility to bring serum to Health Services and pick it up prior to summer and holiday breaks.
You are strongly encouraged to contact your insurance provider prior to your first visit to verify that allergy services at the Health Center will be covered under your plan.
- Appointments are required.
- Serum is to be kept in the Health Services refrigerator.
- A phyisician must be present at Health Services when injections are administered.
- Initial allergy injections must be done in your allergist’s office because of the increased possibility of an allergic reaction (this does not apply to increased concentrations, only to new allergens).
- The nurse will follow the physician’s orders as outlined on your schedule. If a question or problem arises, the prescribing physician will be contacted before administration of serum.
- Should an adverse reaction occur, medical management will be determined by our campus physician. Information about the event and management thereof will be faxed or phoned to your prescribing physician before any further injections will be administered.
- When additional serum is needed, your schedule will be faxed to prescribing physician to arrange for reordering and shipping.
- You must wait 30 minutes in Health Services after injection and have arm checked by a nurse before leaving, unless prescribing physician specifies 20 minutes. All injections require a minimum of 20 minutes.
- You are responsible for charges not covered by your insurance.